QM Alternatives to Shankar for Undergraduate Level

• Quantum
  • Thread starter AstroK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shankar
In summary, the student is looking for recommendations for a second course on quantum mechanics that is at a lower level than the official texts. They like Shankar, but find that he omits many details in his derivations and also formats the equations in a way that they do not like. They also suggest Sakurai as a good alternative.
AstroK
I am currently taking a second course on QM (at undergraduate level). The official texts of my course are Griffiths (we are covering the second half of it) and Shankar (for everything that is not in Griffiths). But after reading Shankar for a while, I found myself not really liking the book too much. I particularly don't like the way he often omits many of the details in his derivations (well, I know sooner or later I'm going to face books even harder to read than that, i.e Jackson) and also the way the book styles / formats the equations .

So I just wonder if there are other books (or whatever online resource) that cover at least as much as Shankar (from the basics all the way up to symmetry, relativistic QM and possibly path integrals) while staying at about the same level as Shankar?Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
AstroK said:
I am currently taking a second course on QM (at undergraduate level). The official texts of my course are Griffiths (we are covering the second half of it) and Shankar (for everything that is not in Griffiths). But after reading Shankar for a while, I found myself not really liking the book too much. I particularly don't like the way he often omits many of the details in his derivations (well, I know sooner or later I'm going to face books even harder to read than that, i.e Jackson) and also the way the book styles / formats the equations .

So I just wonder if there are other books (or whatever online resource) that cover at least as much as Shankar (from the basics all the way up to symmetry, relativistic QM and possibly path integrals) while staying at about the same level as Shankar?Thanks.
Quantum Mechanics: A Paradigms Approach by McIntyre.

I like Sakurai. My two go-to recommendations are Shankar and Sakurai, but since you already have access to Shankar and it's not doing it for you...

I like Griffiths more than most, but it isn't the most precise text.

For your purposes, I'd recommend Sakurai. Another text I like for intuition is Primer of Quantum Mechanics by Marvin Chester. It's not a truly complete introduction, but I like it as a purely supplemental.

Likes vanhees71 and smodak
I agree that Shankar leaves a lot to be desired. I second @The Bill's suggestion of Sakurai.

Thanks everyone.

I had checked all the resource being suggested so far, and it seems only Sakurai cover everything that Shankar got. I will definitely try out Sakurai (we use it for graduate QM, so our library has several copies of it), and meanwhile any other suggestions are also welcomed.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are QM alternatives to Shankar for undergraduate level?

Some popular alternatives to Shankar's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" for undergraduate level include books by David J. Griffiths, Leonard Susskind, and Brian C. Hall.

2. What makes these alternatives suitable for undergraduate level?

These alternatives often use simpler language and explanations, and may include additional examples and exercises to supplement the material. They also tend to be less mathematically rigorous, making them more accessible to undergraduate students.

3. Do these alternatives cover the same topics as Shankar's book?

Yes, these alternatives cover the same basic topics in quantum mechanics, such as wave functions, operators, and the Schrodinger equation. However, they may differ in the level of depth and detail provided.

4. Are there any notable differences between these alternatives and Shankar's book?

Some of these alternatives may have a different approach or perspective on certain topics, and may include additional topics not covered in Shankar's book. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and course requirements.

5. Can these alternatives be used as standalone textbooks for a quantum mechanics course?

While these alternatives can be used as standalone textbooks, it is recommended to use them in conjunction with other resources, such as lecture notes and problem sets. It is also important to consult with your instructor to ensure that the material covered aligns with the course curriculum.