Alternatives to Rankine cycles

• Thread starter koab1mjr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cycles
In summary, the conversation revolved around exploring alternative methods of energy generation at the atomic and quantum levels rather than relying on traditional methods such as boilers and turbines. The possibility of using photovoltaics on a larger scale was also mentioned, with the goal of increasing efficiency and reducing negative environmental impacts caused by thermal energy. The conversation also touched on the question of whether any research has been done in this area.
koab1mjr
I am plowing away through my ME curriculum and my intentions is to go into power engineering in some shape or form. I wanted to know if any research has gone into energy harvesting at a atomic level. I just wondered if any research has gone into alternative to a boiler and a turbine for generation since that is really what all power generation boils down to at a basic level. Is there any research in gathering mechanical energy at a quantum level rather than trying to play with chaotic heat?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you asking whether there are other ways to generate power other than thermal? Thats what I gather, since nuclear power is "gathering mechanical energy at a quantum level", but it's still just a glorified boiler/steam turbine system.

Whats so bad about "chaotic heat", anyway?

Well I know about the nuclear route and I like it but i was wondering if anyone is doing something fundamentally different. Like photovoltaics but on a grander scale. Its just that heat is so wasteful and has negative consequences on the environment where as somehow taping the mechanical energy at atomic level would allow for substantial higher efficiencies. I just wondering if anything is going on looking for another way...

1. What is a Rankine cycle and why are alternatives being explored?

A Rankine cycle is a thermodynamic cycle used in steam power plants to convert heat into mechanical work. Alternatives are being explored in order to improve efficiency, reduce costs, and minimize environmental impact.

2. What are some common alternatives to Rankine cycles?

Some common alternatives to Rankine cycles include Brayton cycles, organic Rankine cycles, and supercritical carbon dioxide cycles.

3. How do these alternatives differ from Rankine cycles?

Brayton cycles use gas instead of steam, while organic Rankine cycles use organic fluids that have a lower boiling point than water. Supercritical carbon dioxide cycles use carbon dioxide at high pressures and temperatures to achieve higher efficiency.

4. What are the advantages of using alternatives to Rankine cycles?

The main advantages of using alternatives to Rankine cycles include higher efficiency, lower costs, and reduced environmental impact. These alternatives can also be used in a wider range of applications, such as geothermal and waste heat recovery systems.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to implementing alternatives to Rankine cycles?

Some challenges and limitations to implementing alternatives to Rankine cycles include the need for specialized materials and equipment, as well as the potential for higher maintenance costs. The efficiency of these alternatives may also be affected by varying operating conditions.