1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alternator Field Reversed

1. Jan 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A three phase alternator has a phase sequence of RYB for its three output voltages. In case the field current is reversed, the phase sequence will become

(A) RBY
    (B) RYB
    (C) YRB
    (D) none of the above.

2. Relevant equations
    Faraday's Right Hand Rule

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the answer should be A. As in the sequence of generator voltage must change, as we're reversing field. But books says the sequence won't change.

Even for motor it says that if we reverse field direction then motor rotation won't reverse. Can someone help as to why won't the direction or sequence change?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2017 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

First, can you explain what purpose does the field current serve in an AC generator?

4. Jan 6, 2017 #3
    Field current produces the flux. As the poles rotate the flux also rotates and sweeps past the conductors on the armature, and this rotating magnetic field induces emf.

I get it for alternator that the sequence mustn't change. The diagram below helped. That only for an instant the polarity of R, Y, B will reverse but the sequence won't change.
    upload_2017-1-6_18-37-37.png

But for motor the torque I'm not sure, as the locking between field and armature flux is broken and field is reversed.

5. Jan 6, 2017 #4

NascentOxygen

I don't believe the question is asking you to describe the wild excursions before equilibrium is eventually restored when a fast spinning generator is subjected to a sudden field reversal. I think the question simply involves the resulting sequence when a generator's field winding has been connected to the wrong polarity DC before start-up.

6. Jan 6, 2017 #5
    Hmm... the before start up part confused me. As like it wasn't mentioned before starting. Thanks. Drawing the diagram above helped.

7. Jan 6, 2017 #6
    Hi,
    I'm sorry but I'm confused about winding. It's wrong i guess. Shouldn't it be like this?
    upload_2017-1-7_10-54-48.png
    like above winding R Y B location and this new winding R Y B location. I understood in case of alternator the sequence won't change. But I'm not able to conclude what will happen in case of motor. Cause motor isn't self starting. So if I just change field nothing will happen. But what happens if I change field while motor is running? Maybe motor will experience slight jerk like for 45 degrees in above picture and then eventually go rotate in same direction.

8. Jan 7, 2017 #7

NascentOxygen

What you are describing is a synchronous motor briefly falling out of sync. If this happens under load, then I could only guess at the outcome: it may just momentarily hiccup, or it may be brought chaotically to a halt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted