Alternator for Low Wind Speed Wind Turbine.

• Thread starter MechaMZ
  • Start date
now I have a question:
mythological given constant(s) wind force/turbine size/speed/number of coils/magnets

does increasing the diameter of the magnetic rotor increase its power output because of increased velocity over the coils?

dr

taylaron

Gold Member
The short answer is no.
It takes more energy to turn a rotor of a larger size often because it houses larger magnets and because it takes more energy to move electrons through more coils. To my understanding, the factor that you are concerned about should be the strength of the magnetic field produced by the rotor, the number of turns on each of the coils, the number of coils and the magnitude of the magnetic field (assuming permanent magnets are used). In basic, it takes more energy to turn a larger alternator. For instance, if you have a pinwheel tied to a 1'' diameter rotor, you may be able to rotate it. if you attach a rotor that is 12'' in diameter, it would be much harder to turn because of the required torque to provide momentum on the pinwheel. even if they weigh the exact same amount. I suggest looking up torque and momentum.
Remember, energy can not be created nor distroyed, so simply increasing the rotor size will not always give you more energy than with a smaller one. The size and diameter of the rotor affects the number of coils, turns in each coil, the rpm of the rotor and the torque required to induce momentum on the rotor.
Hope I helped

-Tay