Alternator Rewinding: Length & Gauge for 240V/20A & 15V/90A

• Thread starter rodnjo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alternator
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of rewinding an alternator and the possibility of doing it oneself. The speaker mentions that the length of the wire and its gauge determine the maximum voltage and amps, respectively. They also mention two different scenarios with varying voltage and amperage. However, it is noted that rewinding an alternator can be expensive and requires expertise, making it more practical to just purchase a new one. The speaker also mentions websites and a book that may provide information on how to rewind an alternator. The conversation ends with the speaker clarifying that the alternator in question is not for a car, but an older petrol alternator/generator.
rodnjo
Hi,
I am looking at rewinding an alternator and have a few questions.
I believe that the length of the wire determines the max volts and the gauge determines the max amps. Is there a formula or some test I can do to determine the length and gauge I need the wire to be.

I have two scenarios:
240v 20amps
15v 90amps

Thanks in advance

Rodney

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, I don't think it is reasonably possible to do this.

There are web sites that claim it is easy, though.
http://www.mtmscientific.com/rewind.html
for example.
Or this one:
http://simplewindalternator.info/can-i-rewind-a-95-mustang-alternator-to-charge-a-144v-electric-car-main-battery/

These days, rewinding alternators just to fix them has become so expensive and requires so much expertise, that it is usually cheaper to fit a new alternator. Getting one to operate on voltages it was never meant to work on would seem pretty hopeless unless you were already someone who could rewind alternators.

Also, these devices are wound in a very complex manner and unless you can supply 12 volts to your final product, you would also have to rewind the rotor. These have windings on them that depend on the wire being very thick to hold them in position.

One remote possibility, and I haven't tried this, is to get to the AC output before it gets to the diodes and try to transform this to a higher voltage with a transformer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look for a book entitled: Alternator Secrets. Not sure who the author is, I just recall the title.

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
I will have a look at those sites and the book. It's not a car alternator though, it's an older petrol alternator / generator.

Thanks'

Rodney

What is an alternator?

An alternator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is commonly used in vehicles to charge the battery and power the electrical systems.

Why would an alternator need to be rewound?

An alternator may need to be rewound if there is damage to the electrical windings, which can occur due to overheating, wear and tear, or other factors. Rewinding involves replacing the damaged wire with new wire of the appropriate length and gauge.

What is the length and gauge needed for an alternator for 240V/20A and 15V/90A?

The length and gauge needed for an alternator will depend on the specific make and model of the alternator. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications or a professional technician for the appropriate length and gauge for a specific alternator.

Why is it important to use the correct length and gauge for an alternator rewind?

Using the correct length and gauge for an alternator rewind ensures that the electrical system will function properly and safely. If the length and gauge are incorrect, it can cause issues such as overheating, short circuits, and damage to the alternator or other electrical components.

Can I rewind an alternator myself, or should I seek professional help?

Rewinding an alternator can be a complex and delicate process, and it is recommended to seek professional help from a trained technician. Attempting to rewind an alternator without the proper knowledge and equipment can result in further damage and safety hazards.