1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Altitude to PSI question

1. May 2, 2016 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
    I have an altitude to psi problem that I can't quite figure out. I know I have to use conversions, but I'm not sure how to set them up.

At an altitude of 35,000 ft, atmospheric pressure is less than 0.500 atm. Convert this pressure to pounds per square inch (psi).

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Atmosphere pressure is approximately 14.7 psi at sea level .

So if you know that atmospheric pressure at a specified altitude is 0.5 sea level value then pressure in psi = 14.7 * 0.5 .

Answer 7.35 psi .

nb: The 14.7 psi pressure at sea level is commonly referred to as ' one atmosphere ' .
    So two atmospheres = 29.4 psi . Three atmospheres = 44.1 psi etc .

4. May 2, 2016 #3
    Thank you for your help. I misinterpreted the question.

5. May 2, 2016 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Actually it would be better to look for the definitions of atm and psi and see how to convert between them using conversion factors. While there is nothing with the approach suggested by Nidum, using conversion factors is much more universal and allows conversion between any compatible units.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FHSST_Physics/Units/How_to_Change

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted