How Do You Convert Atmospheric Pressure from Atm to PSI at High Altitudes?

UnitsIn summary, the conversation discusses converting atmospheric pressure from altitude to pounds per square inch (psi). It is recommended to use conversion factors to accurately convert between units. The solution is to multiply the atmospheric pressure at sea level (14.7 psi) by 0.5, resulting in a pressure of 7.35 psi at an altitude of 35,000 ft. Conversion factors can be found in resources such as FHSST Physics Units.
SanSan
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
I have an altitude to psi problem that I can't quite figure out. I know I have to use conversions, but I'm not sure how to set them up.

At an altitude of 35,000 ft, atmospheric pressure is less than 0.500 atm. Convert this pressure to pounds per square inch (psi).

Physics news on Phys.org
Atmosphere pressure is approximately 14.7 psi at sea level .

So if you know that atmospheric pressure at a specified altitude is 0.5 sea level value then pressure in psi = 14.7 * 0.5 .

Answer 7.35 psi .

nb: The 14.7 psi pressure at sea level is commonly referred to as ' one atmosphere ' .
So two atmospheres = 29.4 psi . Three atmospheres = 44.1 psi etc .

Nidum said:
Atmosphere pressure is approximately 14.7 psi at sea level .

So if you know that atmospheric pressure at a specified altitude is 0.5 sea level value then pressure in psi = 14.7 * 0.5 .

Answer 7.35 psi .
Thank you for your help. I misinterpreted the question.

Actually it would be better to look for the definitions of atm and psi and see how to convert between them using conversion factors. While there is nothing with the approach suggested by Nidum, using conversion factors is much more universal and allows conversion between any compatible units.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FHSST_Physics/Units/How_to_Change

What is the relationship between altitude and PSI?

The relationship between altitude and PSI (pounds per square inch) is that as altitude increases, the atmospheric pressure decreases. This means that the number of air molecules per square inch also decreases, resulting in a lower PSI reading.

Why is it important to consider altitude when measuring PSI?

It is important to consider altitude when measuring PSI because the change in atmospheric pressure affects the performance of various systems, such as engines and tires, which rely on air pressure to function properly. Failure to take altitude into account can result in inaccurate readings and potentially cause problems with these systems.

How does altitude affect the performance of an engine?

Altitude affects the performance of an engine in several ways. As the altitude increases, the air becomes thinner and less dense, which means there are fewer air molecules available for combustion. This results in a decrease in engine power and efficiency. Additionally, the decrease in air pressure can also affect fuel combustion, ignition timing, and other factors that impact engine performance.

What is the standard conversion for altitude to PSI?

The standard conversion for altitude to PSI is approximately 1 PSI for every 2.3 feet of altitude. This means that for every 2.3 feet increase in altitude, the PSI reading will decrease by 1.

How can altitude and PSI be measured accurately?

Altitude and PSI can be measured accurately using various tools and instruments, such as barometers, altimeters, and pressure gauges. It is important to calibrate these instruments regularly to ensure accurate readings. Additionally, taking into account the current atmospheric conditions and adjusting for any variations can also improve the accuracy of altitude and PSI measurements.