Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alton Brown cooks hagis

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl:

That has to be the worst ever Scottish accent. Haggis is really nice if you get over what its made from :approve:

4. Jan 21, 2007 #3

Evo

5. Jan 21, 2007 #4

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll have to catch that haggis clip.. He does put on entertaining skits. I saw him on the tube yesterday, eating a fried brain sandwich.. I believe they used pig brains.. They used to use cow brains. But with the whole bovine spongiform encephalopathy business, they've fallen out of favor.

6. Jan 22, 2007 #5

Mk

That was brilliant.

7. Jan 22, 2007 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fried turkey show was splendid...as usual! I'm staying away from the haggis show.

8. Jan 22, 2007 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I really liked Alton until he did the Iron Chef America show.

I still like "Good Eats" though. Speaking of turkey, has anyone tried his method for brining a turkey? I keep meaning to try it but just haven't gotten around to it.

9. Jan 22, 2007 #8

Evo

I used his brining method a couple of years ago (last time I did a turkey) and it was fantastic!

10. Jan 22, 2007 #9
    I've been doing the turkey brining method ever since the Romancing The Bird episode came out (like 5 years ago now at least). It always gets rave reviews from the family. Amazingly enough it works no matter how large or small the turkey. You just need to make adjustments to the brining time depending on the size of the bird.

11. Jan 22, 2007 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

That does it. I'm cooking a turkey this weekend.

12. Jan 22, 2007 #11

Evo

Will you be risking the "fried" turkey? Even with the turkey derrick, I'm still too afraid. :surprised

13. Jan 22, 2007 #12
    lol...his accent changed to australian for a sentence or two

14. Jan 22, 2007 #13

turbo

Gold Member

I'll have to try brining my next turkey before hickory-smoking it. I always brine salmon before smoking it - I don't know why it has not occurred to me to brine the turkeys.

15. Jan 22, 2007 #14
    Ugh I can't believe people actually eat that.

16. Jan 22, 2007 #15
    Me neither. When I first saw that show on T.V. I thought it was just a spoof. :surprised: I mean, who would eat those "bits and pieces'????:yuck:

17. Jan 22, 2007 #16

turbo

Gold Member

You should have seen what we did with pigs that we slaughtered when I was a kid. NOTHING was wasted. The blood was collected and made into sausage, the large intestine was cleaned and boiled as casing for the blood sausage, the small intestines were cleaned and boiled for regular sausage. Liver, kidneys, tongues, jowels, brains were all processed. There wasn't much left over from a hog when we were done with it.

18. Jan 22, 2007 #17
    EEEEWWWW!!!

19. Jan 22, 2007 #18
    I'll never be able to think of you the same way again you blood sausage eating monster! :rofl:

Just kidding, I'd try anything once... Well, maybe not pig brains... :rofl:

20. Jan 22, 2007 #19
    Haha I remember in kindergarten we made sausage and some of the kids were like " that's what the casing is !?!?", long time ago but I still remember it.

21. Jan 22, 2007 #20
    My father said that he didn't really want to buy pork ribs (I love pork ribs) because he doesn't like pork (Some story about how he grew up on a farm blah blah blah...) I think I will show him turbo-1's post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?