Alum Crystal Growing question

• Thread starter Lockinvar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crystal
In summary, when conducting an alum crystal growing lab, it is important to periodically clean the monocrystal surface to remove imperfections that may interfere with the crystal's growth. This can be done by gently wiping the surface with a soft cloth or tissue, using a toothpick or soft brush to remove excess growth, or using a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab for stubborn bumps. It is also important to handle the crystal with clean hands or gloves and to inspect the surface carefully before continuing with the experiment.
Lockinvar
My teacher this year assigned us to do an alum crystal growing lab by ourselves, so we find the procedure and do a related theory all by ourselves. In my group i was doing half of the related theory and i basically had questions i had to answer.

The question i am stuck on is, "5. Once the crystal is growing, it may be a good idea to "clean" the monocrystal surface. Why is this important? And how does one "clean" the crystal?"

I know it is important because if i don't do it the crystal will continue to grow on the imperfections and make them more promenant and harder to remove.

I also figured out what to look for when cleaning the surface and what to do,

Each time the solution is saturated, it is a good idea to "clean" the monocrystal surface, by

- making sure the crystal is dry,

- not touching the crystal with your fingers (hold only by the suspending line if possible),

- removing any "bumps" on the surface due to extra growth,

- removing any small crystals from the line.

The thing i don't know is the 'how' How do i clean the surface, what do i use to remove the bumps. I was thinking something like a toothpick or a q-tip that's been dipped in 60C water so that when it touches the bumps it dissolves them.

Is there any advice, does anyone have the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to offer some advice on how to clean the monocrystal surface in the alum crystal growing lab. First of all, it is important to understand why cleaning the surface is necessary. As you mentioned, if the imperfections on the surface are not removed, they can interfere with the crystal's growth and make them more prominent.

To clean the surface, it is important to use a gentle and non-abrasive method to avoid damaging the crystal. One method that can be used is to gently wipe the surface with a soft, lint-free cloth or tissue. This can help remove any excess solution or bumps on the surface.

Another method is to use a toothpick or a soft brush to gently scrape off any excess growth or bumps. It is important to be very gentle and not apply too much pressure, as this can cause scratches on the crystal surface.

If the bumps are stubborn and cannot be removed with the above methods, using a small amount of warm water (not boiling) on a cotton swab or q-tip can help dissolve them. However, it is important to be careful and not let the water touch the crystal for too long, as it can cause the crystal to dissolve.

In addition, it is important to always handle the crystal with clean hands or with gloves to avoid leaving any oils or dirt on the surface. It may also be helpful to use a magnifying glass to carefully inspect the surface and make sure it is completely clean before continuing with the experiment.

I hope this advice helps with your crystal growing lab. Remember to always be gentle and careful when cleaning the surface to avoid damaging the crystal. Good luck with your experiment!

I would suggest conducting further research on how to clean monocrystal surfaces specifically. While your idea of using a toothpick or q-tip dipped in 60C water may work, it is important to make sure that it will not damage the crystal or affect the growth process. I would suggest looking into specific methods or chemicals that are commonly used for cleaning monocrystal surfaces in scientific experiments. Additionally, you could reach out to your teacher or a science mentor for guidance on this matter. It is always important to be cautious and precise when conducting scientific experiments, so make sure to thoroughly understand the cleaning process before proceeding.

What is alum crystal growing?

Alum crystal growing is a process in which alum crystals are formed by dissolving alum powder in hot water, and allowing it to cool and crystallize. This is a fun and easy science experiment that can be done at home or in a laboratory.

What materials are needed for alum crystal growing?

The materials needed for alum crystal growing include alum powder, hot water, a glass jar or container, a spoon, and a string. Optional materials include food coloring or a small wooden stick for stirring.

What is the purpose of alum powder in crystal growing?

Alum powder is used in crystal growing because it contains potassium aluminum sulfate, which has properties that make it easy to form crystals. When dissolved in water and allowed to cool, the alum molecules come together and form crystals.

How long does it take to grow alum crystals?

The time it takes to grow alum crystals can vary, but it typically takes about 24-48 hours for the crystals to fully form. However, the process can be sped up by placing the jar in the refrigerator or freezer.

Can alum crystals be used for anything else besides a science experiment?

Yes, alum crystals have various uses in industries such as food, cosmetics, and water treatment. They can also be used as a natural deodorant or to preserve fruits and vegetables. However, for safety reasons, it is important to use specific types of alum crystals for these purposes, rather than the ones grown in a science experiment.