1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Alum Crystal Growing question

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    My teacher this year assigned us to do an alum crystal growing lab by ourselves, so we find the procedure and do a related theory all by ourselves. In my group i was doing half of the related theory and i basically had questions i had to answer.

The question i am stuck on is, "5. Once the crystal is growing, it may be a good idea to "clean" the monocrystal surface. Why is this important? And how does one "clean" the crystal?"

I know it is important because if i dont do it the crystal will continue to grow on the imperfections and make them more promenant and harder to remove.

I also figured out what to look for when cleaning the surface and what to do,

Each time the solution is saturated, it is a good idea to "clean" the monocrystal surface, by

- making sure the crystal is dry,

- not touching the crystal with your fingers (hold only by the suspending line if possible),

- removing any "bumps" on the surface due to extra growth,

- removing any small crystals from the line.

The thing i dont know is the 'how' How do i clean the surface, what do i use to remove the bumps. I was thinking something like a toothpick or a q-tip thats been dipped in 60C water so that when it touches the bumps it dissolves them.

Is there any advice, does anyone have the answer?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted