Buy Alum Sulfate for 8000 Gal 48% Solution

• Thread starter obrien040362
  • Start date
In summary, to make 8000 gallons of a 48% alum sulfate solution, you will need to determine the density of the solution first. Then, using the specific gravity, calculate the weight of a gallon of the solution and multiply it by 48 and then by 8000. This will give you the amount of anhydrous aluminum sulfate needed. If purchasing the octadecahydrate or hexadecahydrate, use the appropriate ratios to calculate the final amount needed.
obrien040362
How many pounds of alum sulfate do I need to buy to make 8000 gallons of 48% solution.
Thank you

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You do it the same way you did the 25% NaOH solution. You will need to determine the density of 48% alum sulfate first.

I did review that answer before I posted , but I don't know how to calculate the solution weight of 25% NaOh or 48% Aluminum Sulfate

Can you figure weight of solution with specific gravities?

obrien040362 said:
Can you figure weight of solution with specific gravities?

Yes. Multiply the weight of a gallon of water by the specific gravity of your want to be alum solution to get the weight of a gallon of 48% w/w alum sulfate. Multiply that by. 48 and multiply that answer by 8000.

That's how much anhydrous aluminum sulfate you will need to use. If you are purchasing the octadecahydrate, multiply that number by the ratio (666/342). If purchasing the hexadecahydrate multiply it by the ratio (648/342).

Last edited:

1. What is alum sulfate and what is it used for?

Alum sulfate, also known as aluminum sulfate, is a chemical compound that is commonly used as a coagulant in water treatment and purification processes. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as papermaking and tanning.

2. What does it mean when it is described as a 48% solution?

The 48% solution refers to the concentration of alum sulfate in the solution. This means that for every 100 parts of the solution, 48 parts are made up of alum sulfate. A higher concentration means that the solution is more potent and may be more effective in its intended use.

3. How much alum sulfate do I need for 8000 gallons of water?

The amount of alum sulfate needed for 8000 gallons of water depends on the desired concentration. However, as a general guideline, a 48% solution typically requires 1-2 pounds of alum sulfate per 1000 gallons of water. This means that for 8000 gallons of water, you may need between 8-16 pounds of alum sulfate.

4. Is alum sulfate safe to use in water treatment processes?

Alum sulfate is generally considered safe to use in water treatment processes. However, it is important to handle it with care and follow recommended safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and avoiding direct contact with the skin or eyes. It is also important to use it in the recommended concentrations to avoid any potential health risks.

5. Where can I purchase alum sulfate for 8000 gallons of water?

Alum sulfate can be purchased from various chemical supply companies or water treatment companies. It is important to ensure that you are purchasing a high-quality product from a reputable supplier to ensure its effectiveness and safety. Additionally, you may also be able to purchase it online or at some hardware stores or home improvement stores.