Aluminium adhesive

1. I need a recommendations on a glue to stick aluminium foil.

Due to the size I need a product that can be brought in larger quantities rather than in small tubes; like a tub of wood glue or wallpaper paste.

I'm asking because aluminium is reactive and I need something that will stick, but not react.

2. jcsd
  3. SteamKing

SteamKing 9,383
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Reactive with what? You know, they wrap food with aluminum foil.

4. AlephZero

AlephZero 7,298
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Aluminum is very reactive, if you disrupt the AlOH film that forms on the surface (of the order of only one molecule thick) when it is in contact with air.

That's why mercury-in-glass thermometers are banned from aluminum-framed aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbUPjHHml1E

On the other hand, AlOH is very inert, which is why Al is hard to solder, for example - but if the surface film has broken and can't re-form properly, it is virtually impossible to stop the reaction.

5. Integral

Integral 7,349
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was once stirring molten Al with a Stainless steel rod....The stainless "melted" into the Al. Al is very reactive, of course molten Al is more so then solid due to the thermal energy present.

6. Integral

Integral 7,349
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't this as much of a demonstration of the re activity of Hg as well as Al? I once was playing with some Hg, great fun!, and watch regular tin/lead solder simply vanish into the Hg.

7. Since the foil is pretty air tight 'drying adhesives' probably aren't going to work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted