Getting Aluminium Chloride from Aluminium & Hydrochloric Acid

• Thread starter c_d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminium
In summary, by mixing aluminium with hydrochloric acid, a reaction occurs resulting in the formation of aluminium chloride dissolved in water. However, boiling the water will not result in pure aluminium chloride as it will rapidly hydrolyse into Al(OH)3. It may be possible to extract the AlCl3 using dichloromethane or ammonium chloride and heating, but it is most effective to start with dry HCl or Cl2.
c_d
Hi,

If I mix aluminium (tin foil) with hydrochloric acid I get the following reaction:

2Al(s) + 6HCl(aq) -> 2AlCl3(aq) + 3H2(g)

So I end up with aluminium chloride disolved in the water.

If I boiled the water would I be left with pure aluminium chloride? I'm thinking the water will boil away leaving the AlCl3, which should be a white powder.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
c_d said:
Hi,

If I mix aluminium (tin foil) with hydrochloric acid I get the following reaction:

2Al(s) + 6HCl(aq) -> 2AlCl3(aq) + 3H2(g)

So I end up with aluminium chloride disolved in the water.
Not really. AlCl3 will hydrolyse rapidly forming Al(OH)3.

i believe that aluminum trichloride is soluble in dichloromethane, and could be extracted. (not 100% sure about this though - you may want to double check the Merck index of other suitable source).

Nah, once you get the H2O clustered around the Al3+, it's tough to get it out of there. As with the FeCl3 thread, I think you might be able to do so by mixing the hydrated chloride with ammonium chloride, and then heating that.

The bst way is to start with Al metal and treat it with dry HCl (gas) or dry Cl2. Once you let hydroxies in, they're going to want to stay - extraction isn't going to work.

1. How do you produce aluminium chloride from aluminium and hydrochloric acid?

To produce aluminium chloride from aluminium and hydrochloric acid, you will need to mix equal amounts of aluminium and concentrated hydrochloric acid in a reaction vessel. The reaction will produce hydrogen gas and aluminium chloride, which can be collected and purified.

2. What is the purpose of using hydrochloric acid in this process?

Hydrochloric acid is used as a reactant in this process because it helps to dissolve the aluminium and promote the reaction. It also helps to neutralize any impurities in the aluminium.

3. Can any type of aluminium be used in this process?

No, only high purity aluminium should be used in this process. Impurities in the aluminium can affect the reaction and the purity of the resulting aluminium chloride.

4. What are the safety precautions that should be taken when working with hydrochloric acid?

Hydrochloric acid is a corrosive and toxic substance, so proper safety precautions should be taken when handling it. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat, and working in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to handle the acid with care and follow proper disposal procedures.

5. How is the purity of the resulting aluminium chloride determined?

The purity of the aluminium chloride can be determined through various analytical techniques such as melting point determination, X-ray diffraction, and elemental analysis. These methods can help to identify any impurities in the sample and determine the overall purity of the product.