Aluminium Oxidation: Reusable Portable Circuit Solutions

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of using a high surface area aluminium plate stored in a vacuum and exposed to oxygen as a power source. The concept is similar to zinc-air batteries, which have a limited lifespan once exposed to air. The conversation also touched on the idea of releasing pure oxygen inside an aluminium sphere and whether a charge would develop on its surface. The expert clarified that the key to battery operation is the separation of half reactions to allow for the flow of electrons through an external circuit.
Samson4
I have watched many videos of aluminium air batteries and it got me wondering. Could this same process work if you stored the aluminum in vacuum and exposed it to oxygen? For example:

A high surface area aluminium plate is in a glass bulb under high vacuum. A copper lead connects to the aluminium to a load. If we break the bulb the aluminium will rapidly oxidize. How do you close the circuit? I know you could ground it but what about in aportable application? Reusability and controlled current flow are of no concern.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My hearing aids run on zinc-air batteries, which are analogous. They are tiny. They have the strange property for batteries that once exposed to the air, they run out in 8 days regardless of how much electric power is supplied to the load. Full load, zero load, still lasts 8 days.

Samson4 said:
How do you close the circuit?

In what you described the circuit is already closed.

Whole trick with every battery is to have both half reactions separated so that electrons can flow through an external circuit, instead of jumping from one atom/ion/molecule to another directly.

If we released pure oxygen inside an aluminium sphere, a charge would develope on its surface correct?

I guess a better question would be; when 1 side of an aluminium plate is oxidized, does a charge develop on the opposite side?

Samson4 said:
I guess a better question would be; when 1 side of an aluminium plate is oxidized, does a charge develop on the opposite side?

No. I told you how it works. Please read any general chemistry book on redox reactions and cells and you will see what it is all about, right now you are just wild guessing.

Likes Samson4

1. What is aluminium oxidation?

Aluminium oxidation is the process by which aluminium reacts with oxygen to form aluminium oxide. This occurs naturally when aluminium is exposed to air, forming a thin layer of oxide on its surface.

2. Why is aluminium oxidation important in portable circuit solutions?

Aluminium oxidation is important in portable circuit solutions because it allows for the formation of a protective layer on the surface of the aluminium, preventing further corrosion and ensuring the longevity of the circuit. This makes it a key component in creating reusable portable circuit solutions.

3. How does aluminium oxidation affect the performance of portable circuits?

Aluminium oxidation can affect the performance of portable circuits in a few ways. Firstly, it can lead to a decrease in the conductivity of the aluminium, which can result in a decrease in the efficiency of the circuit. Secondly, it can cause corrosion and damage to the circuit, leading to malfunctions or failure. Therefore, it is important to address and manage aluminium oxidation in order to maintain optimal performance of portable circuits.

4. Can aluminium oxidation be reversed?

While aluminium oxidation is a natural process and cannot be completely reversed, it can be managed and slowed down through the use of protective coatings or treatments. These methods can help to prevent further oxidation and preserve the integrity of the aluminium in portable circuits.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using aluminium in portable circuit solutions?

While aluminium is a commonly used material in portable circuit solutions, it does have some disadvantages. One of the main challenges is its susceptibility to oxidation, which can impact the performance and longevity of the circuit. Additionally, aluminium is not as strong as other materials, which can be a concern in applications where durability is crucial. However, with proper management of aluminium oxidation, these disadvantages can be minimized and the benefits of using aluminium, such as its lightweight and cost-effective nature, can be fully utilized.