Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aluminum plate extrusion

1. Jun 17, 2013 #1
    Hi, I get a whole bunch of extruded Al plates. Each of them is about 7" long by 3" wide and 0.08" in thickness. They are extruded parts and cut into 7" long on each pc.
    However they are coming out wrapped, not substantial but quite a amount that is out of our tolerance. They are wrapped close to half mm on the 3" side and even worse (I guess 1mm~2mm) on the 7" side.

I wonder if this warp is introduced during the extrusion, or during cutting. I looked at typical 8020 parts, they look perfectly flat.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are your parts wrapped or warped? There is a difference.

4. Jun 17, 2013 #3
    Sorry, maybe a typo, I mean wrap, means a curvature on the surfaces.

5. Jun 17, 2013 #4

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

warp as in 'not flat' .... I would worry more about what specs did you give the vendor on the Purchase Order. Without something in writing it will be hard to get the vendor to replace/redo/repair the work. I do not think it matters how the parts were damaged, unless it happened after you received them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook