Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Always dreamed of travelling somewhere?

1. May 11, 2004 #1
    Have you always (ever since you can remember ... ) dreamed of travelling somewhere? Around the world? ... or to Machu Pichu?...or perhaps to the Great Wall of China ? ... or somewhere else ?...
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

I've always been very interested in English and Chinese history. I was able to live my dream of travelling to England. I visited as many historical sites as I could - not just the tourist traps. Though I must say, they make a pretty damn fine tourist trap over there.

China would be more difficult. I don't speak the language for one thing, and now, I'm married and have 2 kids. Maybe when I retire I'll see the Great Wall and the terra cotta army.

4. May 11, 2004 #3
    Japan, definitely. I just love the country. It's culture, history, everything. I wouldn't mind if I had to move there.
  5. May 11, 2004 #4

Staff: Mentor

After seeing a few documentaries on Tibet, I would like to go there. I'd also like to visit China. I've been to Japan and Thailand, it was fascinating.

What bothered me about Thailand was the contrast of poverty and wealth. In Bangkok, people actually live on the street medians, leaning pieces of tin against the guardrails for their "home". They're too poor to have individual cookfires and normally congregate around a single metal barrel to cook their communal meal.
  6. May 12, 2004 #5
    Sounds like you have an anthropological streak in you Evo :D

I watched 7 Years in Tibet the other night - it was amazing how they turned Bradd Pitt's character around from a sterotype to basically a human being - more amazing is the beautiful country.
    Oh yeag..about the contrast ... it's good right?...better than uniform poverty don't you think? :D
  7. May 12, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Alaska on Summer Solstice! Ireland, Thailand, Japan, Hawaii, Virginia, Montana, Louisiana...
  8. May 13, 2004 #7
    Lol @ Kerrie
  9. May 13, 2004 #8
    America!! yay. i've been there before but I've always wanted to go to a real live rodeo. U know where the guy sits on this insane bull and tries to stay on it as long as possible... it seems pretty fun to watch. I'd also like one of those spiffy cowboy hats.....

I wanna go to brazil, coz i heard the vibe over there is excellent. U guyz have to go to hongkong and korea. Those to places are amazin if u love shopping!!! If u wanna go to a beautiful island with white asndy beaches and a friendly fun atmosphere pick Sri Lanka!!! Those beaches are just out of this world.
    Last edited: May 13, 2004
  10. May 13, 2004 #9
    When you mentioned HongKong the first thing that came into my mind is great place to shop.

I'd love to visit Japan, and buy all the anime toys, videos, games and robots I can get!
  11. May 13, 2004 #10

Gold Member

Anywhere. Everywhere.
  12. May 13, 2004 #11
    I totally agree, but for me, I'd also do things connected with their culture. Visit some shrines and temples, check out some martial arts dojos, and visit some historical places and buildings.
  13. May 13, 2004 #12

Science Advisor

I was able to soak up the sights on three of the Hawaiian islands. I was not able to go to Kauai as planned, because Hurricane Iniki had just messed it up and aircraft were not being allowed to land there. One of these days I'll get there.

There is a volcano called Stromboli off the coast of Italy which is said to be actively spritzing fiery ash up into the air a good fraction of the time. I would get a kick out of seeing that.
  14. May 13, 2004 #13
    Yes I agree, I failed to mention that but it's also something on the back of my mind. Visiting ancient buddhist temples and dojos would be quite an experience.
  15. May 14, 2004 #14

Science Advisor

Heh. I love Stromboli (they are an Italian food, like a pizza crust, filled with good stuff and folded over and baked). I remember I used to only be able to get them in South Philadelphia. Twenty-five tears ago they spread to the whole Philly area. About 5 years ago somebody started selling them here in DC. Anybody else get Stromboli where you live?

16. May 15, 2004 #15
    I've never tried Stromboli but there's plenty of that here in NY
  17. May 15, 2004 #16

jimmy p

Gold Member

I would love to visit the Australian outback or New Zealand.
  18. May 16, 2004 #17
    I'd like to go to Heaven, but I don't have a chance in Hell.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?