Always in Search of Answers: A Non-Scientist's Quest for Knowledge

• Thread starter Catreece
  • Start date
In summary, "Always in Search of Answers: A Non-Scientist's Quest for Knowledge" explores the journey of a non-scientist as they navigate through their curiosity and desire for knowledge. The author describes their struggles and triumphs in understanding complex scientific concepts and shares their insights on the importance of continuous learning and asking questions. Through personal anecdotes and reflections, the book highlights the value of seeking answers and how it can lead to a deeper understanding of the world around us.
Catreece
Hey there! Neither am I a student, nor a scientist, but rather someone who works primarily in entertainment. Mostly I work with world design, game design and writing in general, and frequently this leads to needing to know an awful lot of various scientific topics to at least an undergrad level to get things correct enough to be able to make use of them in my work.

This means I have a pretty good comprehension of things like evolution, geology, orbital physics and so on, but mostly just in the qualitative aspects thereof. Enough to write about them without making any major mistakes, and well enough to break down the concepts for readers into laymen's terms, but lacking in the quantitative aspects such as being able to mathematically prove any of it.

Obviously I don't have nearly the time nor finances to dedicate towards the 27 or so degrees I'd want to pursue, so I tend to look up what I can in basic starting sources like Wikipedia or documentaries, then try to get a more refined idea of specific details from various science forums, quora, and other such resources like this one. I generally find it a lot easier to ask questions once I've got the basics down well enough to know what kinds of questions to be asking. And then immediately go on to ask questions that it usually turns out no one has an answer to yet. In my defense, it's not my fault most of the really interesting stuff we barely understand yet. Well, it sort of is. The main reason I find it interesting is we don't know much about it yet. Oh well.

Anyway, I've got at least one question that has been bothering me for over a week now that my other sources have failed to get an answer to me on, so hopefully I can get such (probable) nonsense out of my head here!

In the meantime, pleased to make the acquaintance of those who frequent the forum, and hopefully there shall be some interesting discussions to be had!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Just to make sure we can help you as much as possible, make sure you know about the three main sections in PF:

1. The main forums, that you see in the first page.
2. Insights Blog, available at the top row (header section). It contains articles that help in learning topics to a great extent.
3. The videos, also available in the header section. The media gallery now has some great videos in almost every aspect in science, and they provide a audio-visual learning experience.

I assure you that you will have a great time here.

With regards,
Wrichik.

Wrichik Basu said:
With regards,
Wrichik.
Thanks muchly for the warm reception and the additional information! Thanks as well for going through to mention this to everyone new, as I'd probably not have noticed this otherwise! Or for writing the bot script to do it for you if it's not done manually. Either way, thanks anyway. =P

Catreece said:
Thanks muchly for the warm reception and the additional information! Thanks as well for going through to mention this to everyone new, as I'd probably not have noticed this otherwise! Or for writing the bot script to do it for you if it's not done manually. Either way, thanks anyway. =P
Well, it's true that I mention this to everyone new, but that's only because I find that new members are mostly not aware of the insights and the videos, which are also equally helpful. But no bot, it's all manual. :smile:

Wrichik Basu said:
Well, it's true that I mention this to everyone new, but that's only because I find that new members are mostly not aware of the insights and the videos, which are also equally helpful. But no bot, it's all manual. :smile:
Good enough then! Thanks a ton for such!

Likes Wrichik Basu