Why will there always be questions in the universe?

• Thread starter Mattius_
  • Start date
In summary, Mattius_ argues that there will always be questions within the universe because the logic of the universe is composed of smaller entities which determine the properties of a particle. He also agrees with Rader that it is beautiful that we have evolved to question the WHY of everything.
Mattius_
Always with the questions!

Ive been thinking... (uh oh) and as far as i can see, there will always be questions within the universe. So far, we are at a pretty specific(dependent upon interpretation) in our studies, and as far as i can see, there will always be questions.

For example... I could ask:

Q: Why do things fall?
A: because there is gravity
Q: How does gravity work
A: Higg's Boson
Q: What gives a Higg's Boson it's properties?
A: ?

Hyopthetically, as time progressed, we could figure out the answer to these smaller problems but in the end, we would end up at an unknown again, because the logic of the universe, which by my definition is linear and categorized, always is composed smaller entities which define the latter. For whatever particle we discover, there will always be constituents which determined that particle's properties.

Anyone else agree?

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Mattius_
Ive been thinking... (uh oh) and as far as i can see, there will always be questions within the universe. So far, we are at a pretty specific(dependent upon interpretation) in our studies, and as far as i can see, there will always be questions.

Hyopthetically, as time progressed, we could figure out the answer to these smaller problems but in the end, we would end up at an unknown again, because the logic of the universe, which by my definition is linear and categorized, always is composed smaller entities which define the latter. For whatever particle we discover, there will always be constituents which determined that particle's properties.

Anyone else agree?

Sort of. For whatever particle, you will of cours find it's properties, but this doesn't have to lead to infinite regress. If the T.O.E. were to discover the truly fundamental particle and define it's properties, you would have no more questions to ask about particles, would you?

As to a more general, philosophical, take on your post, I'd have to agree with you: no concept can be completely defined, if complete definition requires that every term in the definition is completely defined.

Originally posted by Mattius_

Anyone else agree?

The beauty of the universe is the fact that we have evolved to question the WHY of everyting. One questions asked brings two more. But that does not mean that we do not get closer to answering the last WHY? An infinite number of questions has to equal the final answer. The final answer will be WHY.

microcosmos(as this first post was about) and macrocosmos, is old definitions and debate.

There's a difference between asking how does gravity work, and what is gravity, or why. Gravity is one of the big mysteries. Maybe we'll find out one day? That'd be cool.

Originally posted by Rader
The beauty of the universe is the fact that we have evolved to question the WHY of everyting. One questions asked brings two more. But that does not mean that we do not get closer to answering the last WHY? An infinite number of questions has to equal the final answer. The final answer will be WHY.

afaiu if we believe the final answer is why, we already presume there's a reason(and a will?) before existence, so maybe it's a little dangerous just starting to ask that? We could also believe existence came before reason. I find the 'what came first: the hen or the egg?' question similiar. But maybe they came both, and exists both, at the same time? We're a lot of wills, let's approach each other.

"It's not how the world exists that's mysterious, but that it exists " - L. Wittgenstein.

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of "Always with the questions"?

"Always with the questions" is a phrase that typically means someone is very inquisitive and always asking a lot of questions. It can also imply that the person is curious and eager to learn more about a topic.

2. Is "Always with the questions" a positive or negative phrase?

This phrase can be interpreted as both positive and negative. It can be seen as a positive trait to always be curious and seeking knowledge, but it can also be perceived as annoying if someone is constantly interrupting or asking too many questions.

3. How can I encourage someone to ask more questions?

One way to encourage someone to ask more questions is to create a safe and welcoming environment where their questions are valued and encouraged. You can also lead by example and ask thought-provoking questions yourself, which may inspire others to do the same.

4. Why is it important to ask questions?

Asking questions is an essential part of the scientific process. It allows us to gather information, challenge assumptions, and find new solutions to problems. It also helps us deepen our understanding of a topic and make more informed decisions.

5. Are there any tips for asking effective questions?

Yes, there are several tips for asking effective questions. First, make sure your question is clear and specific. Use open-ended questions to encourage deeper thinking and avoid leading questions. Also, actively listen to the response and follow up with additional questions for clarification or further discussion.