Solve AM GM HM Inequality for a+b+c=0

In summary: So basically the whole thing simplifies to 9. So the answer is 9.In summary, the expression ( (b-c)/a + (c-a)/b + (a-b)/c )( a/(b-c) + b/(c-a) + c/(a-b) ) simplifies to 9 when a+b+c=0 and at least one of a,b,c is nonzero. The AM/GM inequality does not apply in this problem.
erisedk

Homework Statement

If a+b+c=0 then ( (b-c)/a + (c-a)/b + (a-b)/c )( a/(b-c) + b/(c-a) + c/(a-b) ) is equal to:

Ans: 9

Homework Equations

AM>=GM>=HM
Equality holds when all numbers are equal.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using AM>=GM.
( (b-c)/a + (c-a)/b + (a-b)/c + a/(b-c) + b/(c-a) + c/(a-b) )/6 >= 1

The AM side doesn't seem to simplify. All the numbers on the GM side cancel leaving me with one. I know I need to convert it into some form of a+b+c=0 but can't figure out how.

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:

Homework Statement

If a+b+c=0 then ( (b-c)/a + (c-a)/b + (a-b)/c )( a/(b-c) + b/(c-a) + c/(a-b) ) is equal to:

Ans: 9

Homework Equations

AM>=GM>=HM
Equality holds when all numbers are equal.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using AM>=GM.
( (b-c)/a + (c-a)/b + (a-b)/c + a/(b-c) + b/(c-a) + c/(a-b) )/6 >= 1

The AM side doesn't seem to simplify. All the numbers on the GM side cancel leaving me with one. I know I need to convert it into some form of a+b+c=0 but can't figure out how.

The AM/GM inequality is irrelevant in this problem, and does not even apply. The reason is that if a+b+c=0 and at least one of a,b,c is nonzero, then at least one of them is positive and at least one is negative. The AM/GM inequality applies only if all the cited numbers are of the same sign.

Anyway, put c = -a-b and grind it through (and yes, indeed, it is lengthy!).

Oh ok!

1. What is the AM-GM-HM inequality?

The AM-GM-HM inequality is a mathematical inequality that states the relationship between the arithmetic mean (AM), geometric mean (GM), and harmonic mean (HM) of a set of positive real numbers. It states that the AM is greater than or equal to the GM, which is greater than or equal to the HM.

2. How is the AM-GM-HM inequality used?

The AM-GM-HM inequality is used to find the minimum or maximum value of a set of positive real numbers. It is also used in various mathematical proofs and problems involving inequalities.

3. How do you solve the AM-GM-HM inequality for a+b+c=0?

To solve the AM-GM-HM inequality for a+b+c=0, we first need to rewrite the equation as a=-(b+c). Then, we can apply the AM-GM-HM inequality to the two terms on the right side of the equation, which gives us -(b+c) ≥ 2√(bc). Rearranging this inequality, we get a ≥ 2√(bc). This means that the minimum value of a is 2 times the square root of the product of b and c.

4. What is the significance of the AM-GM-HM inequality?

The AM-GM-HM inequality has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is also used to prove other important theorems, such as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and the Arithmetic-Geometric-Harmonic Mean inequality. Additionally, it helps us understand the relationship between different types of means and their applications in various fields.

5. Are there any limitations to the AM-GM-HM inequality?

Yes, there are certain limitations to the AM-GM-HM inequality. It can only be applied to sets of positive real numbers and cannot be used for negative numbers or complex numbers. Additionally, it is only applicable to finite sets and cannot be extended to infinite sets. Furthermore, for non-uniformly distributed numbers, the inequality may not hold true. Therefore, it is important to understand the limitations of the AM-GM-HM inequality before applying it to any problem.