1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AM-GM Inequality Proof

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

From Spivak's Calculus, Chapter 2 Problem 22 Part A:

Here, [tex]A_{n}[/tex] and [tex]G_{n}[/tex] stand for the arithmetic and geometric means respectively and [tex]a_{i}\geq 0[/tex] for [tex]i=1,\cdots,n[/tex].

Suppose that [tex]a_{1} < A_{n}[/tex]. Then some [tex]a_{i}[/tex] satisfies [tex]a_{i} > A_{n}[/tex]; for convenience, say [tex]a_{2} > A_{n}[/tex]. Let [tex]a^{*}_{1} = A_{n}[/tex], and let [tex]a^{*}_{2} = a_{1} + a_{2} - a^{*}_{1}[/tex]. Show that

[tex]a^{*}_{1} a^{*}_{2} \geq a_{1} a_{2}[/tex]

Why does repeating this process enough times eventually prove that [tex]G_{n} \leq A_{n}[/tex]? (This is another place where it is a good exercise to provide a formal proof by induction, as well as an informal reason.) When does equality hold in the formula [tex]G_{n} \leq A_{n}[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

The first part of the proof was easy:

[tex]A^{2}_{n} - (a_{1} + a_{2}) A_{n} + a_{1} a_{2} = (A_{n} - a_{1})(A_{n} - a_{2}) < 0[/tex] since it was given that [tex]a_{1} < A_{n} < a_{2}[/tex]. Rearranging this leads to [tex]a_{1} a_{2} < a^{*}_1 a^{*}_2[/tex], which is what the problem asked for.

It is also clear that equality holds when [tex]a_{1} = a_{2} = \cdots = a_{n} = A_{n}[/tex]. The part that is baffling me is filling in the rest of the logic of this proof to show that [tex]G_{n} \leq A_{n}[/tex]. I'm not exactly sure what process I'm suppose to "repeat" as stated in the problem, or how I'm supposed to turn it into a formal proof by induction. None of [tex]a^{*}_{i}[/tex] for [tex]i \geq 3[/tex] were defined anywhere in the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2
    Hmm, well you basically already proved that the GM of the a_i's is less than the GM of the [itex]a^*_i[/itex]'s. But note that the AM of the a_i's is equal to the AM of the [itex]a^*_i[/itex]'s, so perhaps try to exploit this fact.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook