Proof of AM-GM Inequality: Spivak's Calculus Chapter 2 Problem 22 Part A

In summary, the problem states that if a_1 < A_n, then there exists some a_i that is greater than A_n. By defining a^*_1 = A_n and a^*_2 = a_1 + a_2 - a^*_1, we can prove that a^*_1 a^*_2 is greater than a_1 a_2. Repeating this process enough times eventually proves that the geometric mean G_n is less than or equal to the arithmetic mean A_n. Equality holds when all the a_i's are equal to A_n.
erh5060

Homework Statement

From Spivak's Calculus, Chapter 2 Problem 22 Part A:

Here, [tex]A_{n}[/tex] and [tex]G_{n}[/tex] stand for the arithmetic and geometric means respectively and [tex]a_{i}\geq 0[/tex] for [tex]i=1,\cdots,n[/tex].

Suppose that [tex]a_{1} < A_{n}[/tex]. Then some [tex]a_{i}[/tex] satisfies [tex]a_{i} > A_{n}[/tex]; for convenience, say [tex]a_{2} > A_{n}[/tex]. Let [tex]a^{*}_{1} = A_{n}[/tex], and let [tex]a^{*}_{2} = a_{1} + a_{2} - a^{*}_{1}[/tex]. Show that

[tex]a^{*}_{1} a^{*}_{2} \geq a_{1} a_{2}[/tex]

Why does repeating this process enough times eventually prove that [tex]G_{n} \leq A_{n}[/tex]? (This is another place where it is a good exercise to provide a formal proof by induction, as well as an informal reason.) When does equality hold in the formula [tex]G_{n} \leq A_{n}[/tex]?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part of the proof was easy:

[tex]A^{2}_{n} - (a_{1} + a_{2}) A_{n} + a_{1} a_{2} = (A_{n} - a_{1})(A_{n} - a_{2}) < 0[/tex] since it was given that [tex]a_{1} < A_{n} < a_{2}[/tex]. Rearranging this leads to [tex]a_{1} a_{2} < a^{*}_1 a^{*}_2[/tex], which is what the problem asked for.

It is also clear that equality holds when [tex]a_{1} = a_{2} = \cdots = a_{n} = A_{n}[/tex]. The part that is baffling me is filling in the rest of the logic of this proof to show that [tex]G_{n} \leq A_{n}[/tex]. I'm not exactly sure what process I'm suppose to "repeat" as stated in the problem, or how I'm supposed to turn it into a formal proof by induction. None of [tex]a^{*}_{i}[/tex] for [tex]i \geq 3[/tex] were defined anywhere in the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, well you basically already proved that the GM of the a_i's is less than the GM of the [itex]a^*_i[/itex]'s. But note that the AM of the a_i's is equal to the AM of the [itex]a^*_i[/itex]'s, so perhaps try to exploit this fact.

What is "AM-GM Inequality Proof"?

The AM-GM Inequality Proof is a mathematical concept that shows the relationship between the arithmetic mean (AM) and the geometric mean (GM) of a set of numbers. It states that the arithmetic mean of a set of non-negative numbers is always greater than or equal to the geometric mean of the same set of numbers.

What is the importance of the AM-GM Inequality Proof?

The AM-GM Inequality Proof is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics that has many applications in various fields, such as economics, engineering, and physics. It is also used in problem-solving and optimization techniques.

How is the AM-GM Inequality Proof used?

The AM-GM Inequality Proof is used to prove various mathematical statements and inequalities. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a given function.

What is the process for proving the AM-GM Inequality?

The process for proving the AM-GM Inequality involves using mathematical induction and the properties of logarithms. It starts with assuming the inequality holds for a set of numbers, and then using mathematical manipulation and the properties of logarithms to show that it holds for any number of terms.

Are there any limitations to the AM-GM Inequality Proof?

Yes, the AM-GM Inequality only applies to non-negative numbers. It also cannot be used for sets with negative numbers or complex numbers. Additionally, it is only valid for finite sets of numbers and cannot be extended to infinite sets.