Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I a bad influence? *evil grin*

1. Nov 3, 2005 #1
    Am I a bad influence?? *evil grin*

Okay, so I don't FEEL evil. More like guilty. Even a little freaked out.

My eight year old brother likes to hang out with me, which is cool. I listen to music in my room sometimes, and I don't really think about what I'm playing when he's around... ahem... and, well, I've got this one burned CD I tend to listen to (I know, shame on me)...

Let's just say he's grown rather fond of Korn, Lincoln Park, Disturbed, and Stutterfly, to name a few (and sadly, even a little Slipknot). I feel pretty bad. I mean, the kid's eight years old for crying out loud.

Buuut, other than that, I think I'm a pretty good influence (go ahead and laugh).

Do you guys think you're a good influence to friends, family, or whatever?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I try not to be, but once in a while something slips by.

4. Nov 3, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Linkin Park is acceptable (POD and Alice in Chains are good too).

Korn - so, so.

Disturbed and Stutterfly - I can do without.

But Slipknot :yuck:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  5. Nov 3, 2005 #4

ranger

Gold Member

As a fan of linkin park I cannot accept that you misspelled their name.:tongue2:

Hey they actually have some good lyrics.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  6. Nov 4, 2005 #5
    Ouch... You're absolutely right! I should lay off the Halloween candy and consume more sleep.

And yeah, the lyrics to LP are okay I guess. But so angsty for such young ears, don't you think?

7. Nov 4, 2005 #6
    I taught my brother how to properly sacrifice virgins. Does that count?

8. Nov 4, 2005 #7
    My best friend's six year old son plays GTA San Andreas....
    You're not that bad, but your taste in music is atrocious. :tongue:

9. Nov 4, 2005 #8

Mk

Yes, I prefer to consume sleep as well.

I like that old time rock and roll...
    the kinda musics that soothes so soul.

10. Nov 4, 2005 #9
    Oh believe me, that's not the entire range of my musical taste. Heavy alternative can get rather tiresome after awhile... I enjoy oldies, new age, classical, and just about anything else except for country and rap.

Yeesh... I know a little kid who plays that game, too (not my little brother, mind you). But he's not THAT young...

11. Nov 4, 2005 #10

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Niode,
    I would just talk to him -- find out why he likes the songs and what he thinks the lyrics mean. If you discover that there's nothing to be concerned about, you can stop feeling guilty. If it turns out that you've had a negative effect, you can try to correct it. :smile:

I don't merely influence people; I control them! Muahahahaha!! :devil:

12. Nov 4, 2005 #11
    You know, that's actually a pretty good idea. I'll ask him after school today.

13. Nov 4, 2005 #12

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Aren't my powers of control amazing!?! It's okay, you don't have to tell me. I already know your answer. :tongue2:

14. Nov 4, 2005 #13
    I fell right into that, didn't I? :biggrin:

I'm guessing he'll say he doesn't understand the words, that he just likes the music and how it sounds. Who can understand Slipknot without a lyrics sheet, anyway?

We'll see if you're answer (whatever that may be) proves to be correct. :tongue:

15. Nov 4, 2005 #14
    I know I'm not a good influence.

But at least I'm better than my friends brother, he's been buying us booze for years.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?