Can I "Bump" My Question to the Top?

• Thread starter Vectronix
  • Start date
In summary, the participants discuss the practice of "bumping" a question to the top of a forum thread and whether it is allowed or acceptable. One person mentions being okay with one bump, while another suggests waiting about 5 days before doing so. They also mention that bumping a thread is only acceptable after at least a week and when it has scrolled off the first page of the forum's thread list.
Vectronix
Am I allowed to "bump" my question up to the top (at least, after a reasonable amount of time has passed, to avoid spam) so that people will take notice and help me?

Physics news on Phys.org

Vectronix said:
Am I allowed to "bump" my question up to the top (at least, after a reasonable amount of time has passed, to avoid spam) so that people will take notice and help me?

I'd be ok with one bump.

Okay, thanks.

Vectronix said:
Okay, thanks.

You should have waited about 5 days to make that post.

does that apply to posts in threads? what if one would like to "bump" his post up to a certain order among posts, is that possible?

just asking, no interest :biggrin:

You can't change the order of posts inside a thread.

As for bumping threads, I personally consider it acceptable only after at least a week, and the thread has scrolled off the bottom of the first page of the forum's thread list.

1. Can I bump my question to the top?

Yes, you can bump your question to the top by editing it to add new information or by adding a comment with additional details. This will bring your question back to the top of the list and increase its visibility to other users.

2. How many times can I bump my question?

There is no limit to the number of times you can bump your question. However, it is important to only bump your question when you have new, relevant information to add. Frequent unnecessary bumps may be seen as spam and could result in your question being flagged or removed.

3. Will bumping my question guarantee an answer?

No, bumping your question does not guarantee that it will receive an answer. Bumping simply increases the visibility of your question to other users, but it is ultimately up to them to decide if they want to answer it or not.

4. How long will my question stay at the top after bumping?

The length of time your question stays at the top after bumping depends on the activity on the site. If there are many new questions being posted, your bumped question may quickly move down the list. However, if there is less activity, your question may stay at the top for a longer period of time.

5. Can I bump someone else's question?

No, you cannot bump someone else's question. Each user is responsible for managing their own questions and it is not appropriate to bump someone else's question without their permission.