Is Poor Performance in Probability/Statistics an Indication I am Bad at Math?

• Thread starter sweetpotato
  • Start date
In summary, the senior majoring in electrical engineering plans to take many math classes next year, but did poorly in one course, probability and statistics. He believes that this course is different from others and may be something he is not good at.
sweetpotato
Hi all, I've been reading the posts and you guys give good advice :)

I am a senior majoring in electrical engineering, but due to having a lot of AP credit coming into college I'm going to have a lot of time for electives next year.

When I was in middle school/ high school I wanted to be a mathematician, but unfortunately I ended up settling for EE because it's perceived as more practical. I want to use my senior year to take a lot courses in math and see if I still enjoy it as much as I used to.

I did well (B's, B+'s) in all the math courses I had to take for engineering except for Probability and Statistics (D+). That was for two reasons: 1) personal problems that I was experiencing 2) I had a hard time understanding the material, and didn't put enough effort into trying to teach the material to myself. I was wondering if doing poorly in probability/statistics is any indication that I should never take another math course.

In my opinion probability and statistics is somewhat different from other parts of math (e.g. abstract algebra, topology) and so maybe I'm just not good at this one particular topic?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Not doing well in one math course tells nothing about your math ability. For example, I had a friend who was very good at math (taken grad school level topology and algebra while he was an undergrad) did terrible in real analysis class. Despite this, I still believe he is a great math student.

I also agree that probability and statistics is quite different from more theoretical math courses like you mentioned, but others might have different opinions. Theoretical math courses hardly have any application to real world, whereas probability and stats have plenty of real world applications.

I'd say if you are interested in taking more math and if you have time, go for it.

There are lots of different kinds of mathematicians with different strengths and weaknesses, different likes and dislikes. If you enjoy other areas of maths and want to do it, don't let this course put you off.

It's always interesting to try and understand one's own mental blocks with an eye to overcoming them, but this shouldn't put you off at all!

Thanks for the help! I think I will give some other math classes a shot.

I can say that poor performance in probability and statistics does not necessarily mean that you are bad at math. Probability and statistics are just one aspect of mathematics, and it is possible that you may excel in other areas such as abstract algebra or topology. It is also important to remember that personal problems can greatly impact academic performance, so it is possible that your D+ in probability and statistics was not a reflection of your true abilities.

Furthermore, mathematics is a subject that requires a lot of practice and effort to fully understand, so it is possible that you simply did not put enough effort into understanding the material. This does not mean that you should never take another math course. In fact, taking more math courses in your senior year may help you determine if your interest in mathematics is still strong and if you are capable of excelling in other areas.

My advice would be to not let one course discourage you from pursuing your passion for mathematics. Use your senior year to explore different math courses and see if your interest and understanding improve. Seek help from professors and peers if you are struggling, and make sure to put in the effort to fully understand the material. Remember, one course does not define your abilities in math.

1. Is poor performance in probability/statistics a sign that I am bad at math?

No, poor performance in probability/statistics does not necessarily mean that you are bad at math. Many factors can contribute to poor performance, such as lack of understanding of the concepts, inadequate preparation, or test anxiety. Math is a broad subject, and poor performance in one area does not necessarily indicate overall proficiency or lack thereof.

2. Can I improve my performance in probability/statistics if I am not naturally good at math?

Yes, anyone can improve their performance in probability/statistics with practice, dedication, and proper support. Mathematics is a skill that can be developed through hard work and persistence. Seek out resources such as tutors, study groups, or online materials to help you better understand the concepts and improve your skills.

3. Can poor performance in probability/statistics be a result of a learning disability?

Yes, it is possible that poor performance in probability/statistics may be a result of a learning disability. It is essential to seek out support and accommodations if you suspect you have a learning disability. This can help you better understand the material and improve your performance.

4. Is it necessary to excel in probability/statistics to be successful in a math-related career?

It depends on the specific career and job requirements. Some math-related careers may require a strong understanding of probability/statistics, while others may not. However, having a good foundation in probability/statistics can be beneficial in many math-related fields and can open up more opportunities for career advancement.

5. Can poor performance in probability/statistics be a result of a lack of interest in the subject?

Yes, lack of interest in the subject can contribute to poor performance in probability/statistics. It can be challenging to excel in a subject that you do not find engaging or interesting. However, with the right resources and support, you may be able to develop a stronger interest in the subject and improve your performance.