Am I begging the question?

• Thread starter nastygoalie89
  • Start date
What about (k+1)? It's certainly greater than k, and if you could somehow get it to be k+1, you'd be done.
nastygoalie89

Homework Statement

For all integers n=>1, n! <= n^n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let p(n) be the inequality n! <= n^n, for all integers n=>1.
Base case: p(1) = 1! <=1^1 1<=1 check
IHOP: Assume p(k), that is assume k!<=k^k for some integer k.
Show p(k+1): show (k+1)! <= (k+1)^(k+1)
It can be rewritten as k!(k+1) <= (k+1)^k (k+1)
divide both sides by (k+1)
which leaves k! <= (k+1)^k

Is this correct or so I beg the question/ mess up my simple math?

Physics news on Phys.org
Logically, it's a bit muddled. You're starting with what you want to prove and showing it leads to a true statement and therefore concluding what you started with is true. That's not logically correct. What you want to do is start with known true statements and show that what you're trying to prove follows. In other words, you want to show p implies q, but what you did was show q implies p.

Start with (k+1)! = k! (k+1). Use the induction hypothesis and manipulate the RHS a bit more to show it's less than (k+1)(k+1).

so it would be: k!<=k^k
multiply by (k+1) on both sides
(k+1)! = k!(k+1)<= (k+1)^k (k+1)
since k is an integer k+1 is an integer
am I closer?

You have the induction hypothesis, k! ≤ kk, which you assume is true with k≥1. Then it follows that

(k+1) k! ≤ (k+1) kk

from the normal rule about multiplying an inequality by a positive quantity, k+1.

Now show that (k+1) kk is less than or equal to (k+1)k+1. Try starting with the fact that k ≤ k+1.

He's almost there in post #1. Just a bit loose, and the final step doesn't say anything (yet). All that is needed is to show that k!<=(k+1)k is a true statement given the assumption. This is quite trivial given that k!<=kk is assumed to be true.

how do you get (k+1) k^k? isn't it (k+1)(k+1)^k?

Nope. Vela is right. You need to assume that k!≤kk. You cannot jump from that to (k+1)!≤(k+1)k+1. What is valid is to jump from k!≤kk to (k+1)k!≤(k+1)kk. What can you say about (k+1)kk compared to (k+1)k+1?

Hint: if a≤b and b≤c then a≤c.

1. k!< k^k
2. multiply by (k+1) to get k!(k+1) < (k+1)k^k
3. k!(k+1) < (k+1)k^k < (k+1)^(k+1)
4. therefore, k!(k+1) < (k+1)^(k+1)
I feel I am begging the question at step 3 here

Much closer, actually. What justifies step 3? You have two parts, (k+1)k!<(k+1)kk and (k+1)kk<(k+1)k+1. Prove each of those.

1. k!< k^k
2. multiply by (k+1) to get k!(k+1) <= (k+1)k^k
3. (k+1)k^k <= (k+1)^(k+1) multiply by k to get (k+1)k^(k+1)<=(k+1)k^(k+1)
therefore, k!(k+1) <= (k+1)k^(k+1), divide by (k+1)
k! <= (k+1)^k

nastygoalie89 said:
3. (k+1)k^k <= (k+1)^(k+1) multiply by k to get (k+1)k^(k+1)<=(k+1)k^(k+1)
You don't want to start with (k+1)kk ≤ (k+1)k+1; that's what you want to prove.

ah i have no idea how to prove that without starting with 'q'

Start with k ≤ k+1, which is obviously true.

i think i have it.
k! < k^k, multiply by (k+1)
k!(k+1)= (k+1)! < (k+1)k^k
and since k<= k+1, multiply by (k+1)^k
this gives us (k+1)k^k < (k+1)^(k+1)
we proved (k+1)! < (k+1)k^k < (k+1)^(k+1)
therefore, (k+1)! < (k+1)^(k+1)

nastygoalie89 said:
i think i have it.
k! < k^k, multiply by (k+1)
k!(k+1)= (k+1)! < (k+1)k^k
and since k<= k+1, multiply by (k+1)^k
this gives us (k+1)k^k < (k+1)^(k+1)
This would give you k(k+1)k ≤ (k+1)k+1, not (k+1)kk < (k+1)k+1.

I'm pretty sure you were there in the first post. All you had to then say was that k!<(k+1)^k because k!<k^k<(k+1)^k. k^k is an increasing function for all k>1.

No, the first post isn't correct. A lot of students write a "proof" like that, and some graders let it slide in introductory classes, but it's wrong. It's close. Most of the pieces are there, but they have to be arranged in the right way to make a correct proof.

how do I get to k(k+1)k ≤ (k+1)k+1 from k<k+1, without multiplying (k+1)^k?

nastygoalie89 said:
how do I get to k(k+1)k ≤ (k+1)k+1 from k<k+1, without multiplying (k+1)^k?
That's not really the point. You've gotten to k!(k+1)≤(k+1)kk in your proof, and you can certainly multiply k≤k+1 by (k+1)k to get k(k+1)k≤(k+1)k+1. The problem is, that doesn't help you because you don't know how k(k+1)k compares to (k+1)kk. To put it in simpler terms, it's like you know a<b and c<d. Without knowing how b and c compare, you can't conclude a<d.

What you want to do is turn the lefthand side of k≤k+1 into kk(k+1) and, by doing the same things to the righthand side, turn it into (k+1)k+1. Let me write it even more suggestively. You want to go from

k ≤ k+1

to

(k+1) kk ≤ (k+1) (k+1)k.

I just don't see how to get from k to (k+1)k^k

1. What does "begging the question" mean in scientific research?

In scientific research, "begging the question" refers to the logical fallacy of assuming the truth of a statement that has not been proven or providing circular reasoning. It is a form of faulty reasoning that can undermine the validity of a study or experiment.

2. How can I avoid begging the question in my research?

To avoid begging the question in scientific research, it is important to critically evaluate your own arguments and assumptions. Make sure that your statements are supported by evidence and logical reasoning, rather than simply restating your conclusion as evidence.

3. Is "begging the question" the same as a hypothesis?

No, "begging the question" is not the same as a hypothesis. A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon that can be tested through observation or experimentation. "Begging the question" is a logical fallacy that undermines the validity of an argument or hypothesis.

4. Can I use circular reasoning in my scientific research?

No, circular reasoning should be avoided in scientific research. It is a form of "begging the question" that can undermine the validity of your study or experiment. Instead, it is important to use evidence and logical reasoning to support your arguments and conclusions.

5. What are some examples of "begging the question" in scientific research?

Examples of "begging the question" in scientific research can include assuming the truth of a statement without providing evidence or using circular reasoning to support a conclusion. For example, stating "The study proves the theory is true because the data supports the theory" would be considered "begging the question" as it does not provide new evidence to support the theory, but rather assumes it to be true.