Navigating 8th Grade Math for a Career in Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the OP's current grade and math class, as well as their plans for taking algebra 1 and calculus in the future. They also ask if it is necessary to take calculus before college if they want to go into physics, and whether they should push themselves to jump up a math class next year. The responses suggest that the OP is on pace for a typical high school route for students interested in science, and that it is possible to go into physics without taking calculus in high school. Some also mention the option of taking math courses over the summer for credit. Overall, the conversation provides helpful insights and the OP expresses gratitude for the information.
kcajrenreb
I am in 8th Grade, and I am taking an Algebra A class. This class is basically an introduction to algebra, and next year I will take algebra 1 for math. If I wanted a career in physics, am I behind? Should I push myself to jump up a class next year? Is it necassary to take calculus before college if I wanted to go into physics? Physics-wise, I have only read a few textbooks, and Feynman's QED. Thank you for your answers, any insight is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure you're right on pace. A typical US high school route for AP students and those wanting to delve into sciences would be something like:
Pre-Algebra (9) -> Algebra (8) -> Geometry (9) -> Algebra II/Trig (10) -> PreCalc (11) -> Calc (12).

However, it really varies and since you're so young, it's very possible you'll change what career you want to jump into. I spent grades 1-11 thinking I'd probably be some doctor or lawyer (I didn't even know what other successful jobs existed other than those two) and then I spent grade 12 finally deciding on what major. And even in college, you're likely to change what major you go into.

Thank you for the response. I understand there is a good chance I'll change interests, but I don't see what else can fullfil my love for finding things out about nature. The reason I asked this young though, is that if I did want to get into physics, I might've had to start now, if I needed to bump up a math class.

Anonymous217 said:
I'm pretty sure you're right on pace. A typical US high school route for AP students and those wanting to delve into sciences would be something like:
Pre-Algebra (9) -> Algebra (8) -> Geometry (9) -> Algebra II/Trig (10) -> PreCalc (11) -> Calc (12).
OP states that he/she will take Algebra I in 9th grade, however. :confused:
And I assume you mean Pre-Algebra (7).

OP: It's certainly possible to go into physics without having taken Calculus in high school. As long as you reach Precalculus and an algebra-based physics course by your senior year, you'll probably be ok. In a number of colleges you can take Calculus and Physics concurrently in your 1st year.

Or, if your high school allows it, and if you really want to take Calculus in high school, you could also take Geometry over the summer for original credit. A number of my current and former students have done this.

I am aware that you can take math courses over the summer for credit, and I will think about it and ask my parents for their opinions.

I don't even remember what math course I took in high school!

I took Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Precalculus/Trig simultaneously, Calculus, Calculus II/Linear Algebra simultaneously, just to get caught up so I could take college level physics courses. As mentioned above, most places allow you to take CalcI/PhyI at the same time so really I would think that if you are ready to start calculus your first year you would be just fine. If you have some calculus under your belt when starting, even better.

My sister took geometry and algebra II simultaneously in 10th grade in order to start precalc in 11 and calc in 12. You're not behind. And if you are, so what? Go to a community college the summer before you start university, and you'll be able to take a calculus class that's likely better than the AP version.

Thanks, again for all your responses. I feel like I have gained a lot of information from this.

Well I took:
Algebra 1: 8th
Geometry: 9th
Algebra 2: 10th
Precalc/Trig: 11th
AP Physics B: 11th
AP Calc (now): 12th

Yeah, at my rate, I'd take AP physics in 12th and precalc in 12th too.

1. What math concepts are most important for a career in physics?

The most important math concepts for a career in physics include algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and statistics. These concepts are used in various areas of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is important to have a strong foundation in these concepts in order to understand and solve complex physics problems.

2. How can I prepare for 8th grade math to set myself up for success in physics?

To prepare for 8th grade math, it is important to review basic math concepts from previous grades. This includes topics such as fractions, decimals, and basic algebra. It is also helpful to practice problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as these are essential for success in physics. Additionally, try to develop a strong understanding of geometry and basic trigonometry, as these concepts will be built upon in higher level physics courses.

3. What resources are available for students struggling with 8th grade math?

There are many resources available for students struggling with 8th grade math, such as online tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. Additionally, many schools offer tutoring services or have math teachers available for extra help. It is important to communicate with your teacher if you are struggling, as they can provide personalized support and guidance.

4. How can I apply 8th grade math concepts to real-world physics problems?

One of the best ways to apply 8th grade math concepts to real-world physics problems is to practice solving problems and working through examples. This will help you develop a better understanding of how math is used in physics and how to approach different types of problems. It is also helpful to research and read about real-world applications of physics, such as in engineering or technology, to see how math is used in these fields.

5. How important is it to have a strong foundation in 8th grade math for a career in physics?

Having a strong foundation in 8th grade math is crucial for a career in physics. Many concepts in physics build upon each other, so it is important to have a solid understanding of the basics in order to understand more complex topics. Additionally, having strong math skills is essential for solving problems and conducting experiments in physics. It is never too late to improve your math skills, so make sure to seek help and practice regularly to set yourself up for success in physics.