Am I conscious of my prefrontal cortex or is my prefrontal cortex me?

• Thread starter Johninch
  • Start date
.Scott
Homework Helper
We talk about smelly feet too. Talking about it means nothing, I have no idea what you are trying to say about the significance of talking about it.
The fact that we talk about smelly feet demonstrates that our sense of smell can affect our behavior. Talking about the smell may not be the most important affect it has on our behavior, but it demonstrates the potential.
Since no one really challenges the functionality of smelling, demonstrating such a small affect of smelling is not important. But many people do get to the point on wondering whether consciousness is really doing something - if it is really causing anything to happen with us. So highlighting this trivial example of an affect on behavior establishes that consciousness has at least a minimal influence.

Evo
Mentor
The fact that we talk about smelly feet demonstrates that our sense of smell can affect our behavior. Talking about the smell may not be the most important affect it has on our behavior, but it demonstrates the potential.
Since no one really challenges the functionality of smelling, demonstrating such a small affect of smelling is not important. But many people do get to the point on wondering whether consciousness is really doing something - if it is really causing anything to happen with us. So highlighting this trivial example of an affect on behavior establishes that consciousness has at least a minimal influence.
Ok, but that's not the topic of the thread, so anything posted going forward has to be about the topic and backed with studies in acceptable journals.

.Scott
Homework Helper
Posts that are opinion and stray from scientific studies in accepted journals will be deleted.
I think that the specific guideline that makes this topic very difficult to address is this one:
Personal theories or speculations that go beyond or counter to generally-accepted science
To the extent I can, I'm trying to keep to arguments and away from "theory".
Another part of the problem is information processing is more of a technology issue than a scientific one.

Evo
Mentor
I think that the specific guideline that makes this topic very difficult to address is this one:To the extent I can, I'm trying to keep to arguments and away from "theory".
Another part of the problem is information processing is more of a technology issue than a scientific one.
The guidelines are vague to keep them short, trust me when I specify what will fly in this thread.

You will notice that all respondents to the OP in this thread, except you, cited proper sources for what they posted, that is how we do things in this forum. Since you sincerely seem to want to do the right thing, please follow the examples.