1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I correct?

1. Dec 17, 2005 #1
    See this question. Two particles are moving in a uniform gravitational field with an acceleration g. at the initial moment, the particles were located at one point and moved with velocities v1 = 3m/sec and v2 = 4m/sec horizontally in opposite directions. Find the distance between the particles at the moment when their velocity vectors become mutually perpendicular to each other.
    I wrote the velocity of the particles as a function of time. Let i be a unit vector horizontally j be a unit vector vertically.
    Thus v1(t) = 3ti - 4.9t^2j and v2(t) = -4ti - 4.9t^2j.
    Then I expressed theta1 and theta2, the angles made by the velocity vector of the particle with the vertical. There theta1(t) = tan^-1(4.9t/3) and theta2 = tan^-1(4.9t/4). Since the angle became 90deg, we can write the equation,
    Tan^-1(4.9t/3) + tan^-1(4.9t/4) = pi/2.
    Therefore 4.9t/3 = 4/4.9t. Therefore t^2 = 2^1/2 approx.
    The rest of the work is normal and can be solved just using projectile equations. But I want to know whether my approach to the problem is good or whether there is another better approach. The doubt is because this is the first time I am using such a method and it is totally new to me. I hope the method is correct.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2005 #2
    It for the angle between the vectors. What happens to the dot product of two vectors when the angle between them is 90°?
  4. Dec 17, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

if the two velocity vectors are perpendicular and one is making angle theeta with downward vertical the other will make an angle 90 - theeta with downwaed vertical. hence if for first tan theeta = 3/gt for the other cot theeta = 4/gt gives g^2*t^2 = 12 may get time easily.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?