Is My Approach to Solving the Particle Motion Problem Correct?

• Thread starter BeckyStar678
  • Start date
In summary, the problem asks to find the vector position and velocity of a particle with an acceleration of 3 j m/s2 and initial velocity of 5 i m/s, at any time t and at t=2 s. The solution involves using equations to find the displacement and velocity, with t as a variable. For the coordinates and speed at t=2 s, t should be plugged in to the equations. The final answer should be in vector notation, including {\rm{\hat i}} and {\rm{\hat j}}.
BeckyStar678
am i doing this problem right? help please!

Homework Statement

a particle initially located at the origin has an acceleration of a=3 j m/s2 and an initial velocity of vi= 5 i m/s. find a.) the vector position and velocity of the particle at any time t and b.) the coordinates and speed of the particle at t=2 s.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so for a.) i got the equation xf=0+5(t)+.5(3)(t2) I am not really sure where to go from there. it says for any time, so do i just put in any number
to get the velocity i did vf=5+3(t)

for b.) do i just plug in 2 for the times above. I am really not sure if I am doing this right

Physics news on Phys.org

BeckyStar678 said:

Homework Statement

a particle initially located at the origin has an acceleration of a=3 j m/s2 and an initial velocity of vi= 5 i m/s. find a.) the vector position and velocity of the particle at any time t and b.) the coordinates and speed of the particle at t=2 s.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so for a.) i got the equation xf=0+5(t)+.5(3)(t2) I am not really sure where to go from there. it says for any time, so do i just put in any number
to get the velocity i did vf=5+3(t)

for b.) do i just plug in 2 for the times above. I am really not sure if I am doing this right

When it says at any time, i think its just saying come up with an equation that gives the displacement for any given value of t, so you would leave t as a variable.

And yea then just plug t=2 into the equations :smile:

EDIT: Besides what i missed about the vectors, and tony mentioned below :)

Last edited:

Your answer should have [tex]{\rm{\hat i}}[/tex] and [tex]{\rm{\hat j}}[/tex] in them, or your answer is not in vector notation.

1. Am I using the correct equations to solve this problem?

This is a common question when trying to solve a scientific problem. To ensure you are using the correct equations, make sure to carefully read the problem statement and identify the key variables and relationships. You can also double check with a classmate or teacher for confirmation.

2. Can you explain the steps to solving this problem?

Sometimes, understanding the steps to solving a problem can be challenging. It may be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps and to visualize the problem with diagrams or graphs. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher for a more detailed explanation.

3. How do I know if my answer is correct?

After solving a scientific problem, it's important to check your answer for accuracy. You can do this by plugging your solution back into the original equation, using a calculator to double check your calculations, or comparing your answer to a known solution. It's always a good idea to check your work multiple times to ensure accuracy.

4. I'm stuck on a specific step, can you provide any tips?

Sometimes, a problem may have a specific step that is more challenging than others. If you find yourself stuck, try breaking down the step into smaller parts or approaching it from a different angle. You can also ask a classmate, teacher, or tutor for tips on how to approach the problem.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Solving scientific problems can be challenging, but it's a skill that can be improved with practice. One way to improve is by breaking down problems into smaller parts and practicing with similar problems. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor for additional practice and guidance. Additionally, staying organized and taking notes can help improve problem-solving skills.