Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Am i doing this right?

1. Jan 27, 2004 #1
    Here's the question:

Suppose we have a scalar field phi(r)=xy defined on the plane (x,y). Find th vector field gradient phi, and plot the result in a single graph atthe four points (1,1), (-1,1) (1,-1), (-1,-1) and at the four points (1,0),(0,1),(-1,0) and (0,-1).

Ans.

For the gradient of phi(r)=xy, I got yi + xj. Is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2004 #2
    one more questio

how will I plot it. Do i have to solve the eequation at each of those points and plot the answer that I get?

4. Jan 27, 2004 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

5. Jan 27, 2004 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: one more questio

No, it's not that involved. For each of the 4 points, you plug in the values of x and y (edit: plug them into the gradient). From those, you will get 4 vectors, which you need to sketch on the graph.

6. Jan 27, 2004 #5
    is this right ?

Okay. So at (1,1) it would be i + j
    at(-1, 1)= -i
    at (1,-1) = i-j
    at (-1,-1) = -i-j

How would I plot it?

7. Jan 27, 2004 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: is this right ?

Right.

These are wrong. Remember that for your vector v, grad(v)=yi+xj.

This one is OK.

Go to the point in question and let that be the origin of a vector whose components are what you calculated them to be. For instance, in the first case go to the point (1,1) and draw the vector i+j.

Also, don't forget to do the same for the other 4 points listed. You will have 8 vectors in all.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook