Solving a Jet Aircraft Velocity Problem: Understanding and Correcting Mistakes

• Thread starter ms. confused
  • Start date
In summary, The jet aircraft is traveling at 310 m/s at 35° south of east and the southern component of its velocity is 178 m/s. The calculation for this involves finding the cosine of 35° and multiplying it by the magnitude of the velocity, which results in a southern component of 254 m/s. However, the correct answer is actually 178 m/s, which can be determined by correctly drawing the vector diagram and calculating the southern component of the velocity.
ms. confused
Hello! I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I was solving this Physics problem correctly:

A jet aircraft is traveling at 310 m/s at 35° south of east. What is the southern component of its velocity?

Calculation:
cos35°= x/310
310cos35= x
254 m/s = x

The real answer is supposed to be 178 m/s, but I keep getting 254 even if I solve it graphically. So...what, if anything, am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your angles again. The plane is traveling at 35° south of east. You did not draw the vector diagram correctly.

You are getting the eastern component. They want the southern component, which is the component of the vector pointing downwards.

Oh, looks like i should have checked your diagram first. Looks like Sirus is right, the diagram is drawn incorrectly.

1. What is the correct method for conducting this experiment?

The correct method for conducting an experiment will depend on the specific experiment and its objectives. It typically involves following a set of steps or procedures, using proper equipment and materials, and recording results accurately. It is important to consult with experts or references in your field to ensure you are following the correct method.

2. How do I know if my results are accurate?

To determine the accuracy of your results, you should compare them to established standards or previous research in the field. It is also important to conduct multiple trials and use proper controls to minimize experimental errors. If your results align with what is expected or supported by previous research, they are likely accurate.

3. What should I do if my experiment is not producing the expected results?

If your experiment is not producing the expected results, it is important to first check if you followed the correct method and if any errors were made during the process. You may also need to troubleshoot your equipment or materials. If you are still unable to obtain the expected results, consult with experts or references in your field for guidance.

4. How can I improve the validity of my experiment?

To improve the validity of your experiment, you should ensure that you are using proper controls and conducting multiple trials. It is also important to clearly define and measure your variables, as well as use reliable and accurate equipment and materials. Consulting with experts in your field can also help improve the validity of your experiment.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about my experimental design or methods?

If you are unsure about your experimental design or methods, it is best to consult with experts or references in your field. They can provide valuable feedback and help you make necessary adjustments to ensure the validity and accuracy of your experiment. It is also important to thoroughly research and understand the principles and techniques involved in your experiment before conducting it.