1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I doing this right?

1. Oct 30, 2004 #1
    Hello! I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I was solving this Physics problem correctly:

A jet aircraft is traveling at 310 m/s at 35° south of east. What is the southern component of its velocity?

cos35°= x/310
    310cos35= x
    254 m/s = x

The real answer is supposed to be 178 m/s, but I keep getting 254 even if I solve it graphically. So...what, if anything, am I doing wrong?
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2004 #2
    Check your angles again. The plane is travelling at 35° south of east. You did not draw the vector diagram correctly.
  4. Oct 30, 2004 #3
    You are getting the eastern component. They want the southern component, which is the component of the vector pointing downwards.
  5. Oct 30, 2004 #4
    Oh, looks like i should have checked your diagram first. Looks like Sirus is right, the diagram is drawn incorrectly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?