Understanding Derivatives in Scientific Calculations

• Thread starter powp
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of a function and treating variables as constants. It also explores when the velocity of the function would be zero and how to determine this using sine.
powp
Hello

I am I finding the derivative for this right??

d = small delta

s(t) = A Cos(wt + d)

s'(t) = -A Sin(wt + d) * w

s'(t) = -Aw Sin(wt + d)

Is it correct to treat all the rest of the varibles as constants? My text does not give any examples with these.

All so what would make the velocity(s') = 0??

Thanks

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
powp said:
Hello
I am I finding the derivative for this right??
d = small delta
s(t) = A Cos(wt + d)
s'(t) = -A Sin(wt + d) * w
s'(t) = -Aw Sin(wt + d)
Is it correct to treat all the rest of the varibles as constants? My text does not give any examples with these.
Yep.

powp said:
All so what would make the velocity(s') = 0??
Thanks
Peter

Well you got to ask yourself for what value(s) of t is s'(t) zero. To simplify the problem, make a change of variable y = wt + d. Find for what values of y is s'(y) zero, then find the corresponding values of t through t = (y-d)/w.

Thanks.

So if I am not given any values for w,d, or A would I just state that the velocity is 0 when wt + d = 0?

powp said:
Thanks.
So if I am not given any values for w,d, or A would I just state that the velocity is 0 when wt + d = 0?
Is a sine only zero when the argument is zero?

no it can be 0 at nPi. Is this correct?

Indeed, sin(x) is 0 when x is [itex]k\pi[/tex] with k an integer.

thanks for your help

You're welcome :smile:

1. What are the criteria for determining if I am doing this right?

The criteria for determining if you are doing something right can vary depending on the specific task or experiment. However, common criteria include accuracy, precision, and reproducibility of results.

2. How can I improve my technique to ensure I am doing this right?

To improve your technique, you can practice and receive feedback from other scientists or mentors. You can also review scientific literature and attend workshops or conferences to learn about best practices and new techniques.

3. Are there any specific tools or equipment that can help me ensure I am doing this right?

Yes, there are many tools and equipment that can aid in ensuring you are conducting your experiment or task correctly. These can include specialized instruments, software programs, or even simple tools like rulers or timers.

4. How can I troubleshoot if I am not getting the expected results?

If you are not getting the expected results, it is important to first review your experimental design and methods to ensure they are valid. You can also consult with other scientists or mentors, and double-check your equipment and materials for any errors or malfunctions.

5. Is it normal to doubt if I am doing this right?

Yes, it is common for scientists to experience doubt or uncertainty when conducting experiments or tasks. This is a natural part of the scientific process, and it is important to seek out feedback and continue to learn and improve your techniques.