Am I doomed to fail?

• Thread starter Mu naught
  • Start date
I am taking "modern physics" this semester, which is an introduction to quantum mechanics. However, I have only had up to calculus 2. It seems I am missing a pre-req for the course - differential equations...

Without DE, will I be able to succeed in the course?

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Suppose we say "yes, you don't need this prerequisite" and you fail the class because you didn't have the background. What then?

The people teaching the class feel you need this as a prerequisite - that's why they put it in the course catalog. If you think they are mistaken, you should talk to them.

Suppose we say "yes, you don't need this prerequisite" and you fail the class because you didn't have the background. What then?

The people teaching the class feel you need this as a prerequisite - that's why they put it in the course catalog. If you think they are mistaken, you should talk to them.

well i didnt realize i needed it until after I was registered for it...

diazona
Homework Helper

I agree with this, the only sensible thing to do is to talk to the instructor. Every class is different and there's no way random people on a forum could tell you what would happen if you tried to take the class without having a particular prerequisite.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
well i didnt realize i needed it until after I was registered for it...

And how does this affect whether you need the prereq or not?