1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I doomed to fail?

1. Aug 29, 2010 #1
    I am taking "modern physics" this semester, which is an introduction to quantum mechanics. However, I have only had up to calculus 2. It seems I am missing a pre-req for the course - differential equations...

Without DE, will I be able to succeed in the course?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Suppose we say "yes, you don't need this prerequisite" and you fail the class because you didn't have the background. What then?

The people teaching the class feel you need this as a prerequisite - that's why they put it in the course catalog. If you think they are mistaken, you should talk to them.

4. Aug 29, 2010 #3
    well i didnt realize i needed it until after I was registered for it...

5. Aug 29, 2010 #4

diazona

Homework Helper

I agree with this, the only sensible thing to do is to talk to the instructor. Every class is different and there's no way random people on a forum could tell you what would happen if you tried to take the class without having a particular prerequisite.

6. Aug 30, 2010 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And how does this affect whether you need the prereq or not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook