Integration Formulas: Do We Really Need to Memorize Them?

• MHB
  • Thread starter soroban
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the integrals above can be rewritten as:. . \int_0^x \dfrac{1}{t}\ dt = \dfrac{1}{2} \ln\left|\frac{t-x}{t+x}\right|+C. . \int_0^x \dfrac{1}{t}\ dt = -\dfrac{1}{2} \ln\left|\frac{t-x}{t+x}\right|+C. . \int_0^x \dfrac{1}{t}\ dt = \dfrac{1}{2} \arctan\left(\frac
soroban

I was taught integration formulas like these:

. . [tex]\int\frac{du}{u^2-a^2} \;=\;\frac{1}{2a}\ln\left|\frac{u-a}{u+a}\right|+C[/tex] . **

It took up only one brain cell and it saved me
the bother of Partial Fractions (every time).I was taught: .[tex]\int\frac{du}{u^2+a^2} \;=\;\tfrac{1}{a}\arctan(\tfrac{u}{a})+C[/tex]

So that: .[tex]\int\frac{dx}{x^2+9} \;=\;\tfrac{1}{3}\arctan(\tfrac{x}{3})+C[/tex]But it seems that everyone nowadays is taught:

. . [tex]\int\frac{du}{u^2+1} \;=\;\arctan u + C[/tex]

So that, if you are not given a "1" in there,
you must do some Olympic-level gymnastics.

[tex]\int\frac{dx}{x^2+9} \;=\;\int\frac{dx}{9(\frac{x^2}{9}+1)} \;=\;\tfrac{1}{9}\int\frac{dx}{(\frac{x}{3})^2+1}[/tex]

Let [tex]u = \tfrac{x}{3} \quad\Rightarrow\quad dx \:=\:3\,du[/tex]

Substitute: .[tex]\tfrac{1}{9}\int \frac{3\,du}{u^2+1} \;=\;\tfrac{1}{3}\arctan u + C[/tex]

Back-substitute: .[tex]\tfrac{1}{3}\arctan(\tfrac{x}{3})+C[/tex]Am I the only one who prefers doing one step
. . instead of eight?~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

By the way, if you've memorized that formula,
. . its sister-formula is easily derived.We have: .[tex]\int\frac{du}{u^2-a^2} \;=\;\frac{1}{2a}\ln\left|\frac{u-a}{u+a}\right|+C[/tex]

Multiply by -1: .[tex]-1\int\frac{du}{u^2-a^2} \;=\;-\frac{1}{2a}\ln\left|\frac{u-a}{u+a}\right| + C[/tex]

. . [tex]\int\frac{du}{a^2-u^2} \;=\;\frac{1}{2a}\ln\left|\frac{u-a}{u+a}\right|^{-1} + C[/tex]

. . [tex]\int\frac{du}{a^2-u^2} \;=\;\frac{1}{2a}\ln\left|\frac{u+a}{u-a}\right| + C[/tex]

. . [tex]\int\frac{du}{a^2-u^2} \;=\;\frac{1}{2a}\ln\left|\frac{a+u}{a-u}\right| + C[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Silly me! And there I was thinking I played smart from deriving all of the above from

$$\int \frac{dx}{x} = \log(x) + C \tag{*}$$

And some complicated log-arctan relationships!

$(*)$ : Actually, I can show that the integral on the left side is the inverse of $\exp(x)$, by a little functional analysis ;)

One of the things about "finding a primitive" (i.e., an indefinite integral) is that it really doesn't matter HOW you do it, integration is not a mechanical process.

Personally, I would observe that:

$\dfrac{d}{du}\left(\dfrac{u-a}{u+a}\right) = \dfrac{(u+a) - (u - a)}{(u+a)^2}$

$=\dfrac{2a}{(u+a)^2}$

so the result follows from the chain rule.

Regarding mathbalarka's observation, he makes a good point but *some* posters in this forum feels this is "too much to handle" for beginning calculus students. He ought to say the inverse is more properly:

$\displaystyle \int_0^x \dfrac{1}{t}\ dt$ for $x > 0$, the integral is undefined if we use an interval containing 0.

(Similar concerns result with any integral that evaluates to some inverse function such as $\log$, we have to check the "domain of integration" to ensure our answer is *consistent*...the absolute value signs are not entirely a safeguard against this).

1. What is the Stone Age?

The Stone Age is a prehistoric period that lasted from around 3.3 million years ago to 3300 BCE. It is characterized by the use of stone tools and the development of early human societies.

2. How do scientists determine if someone is from the Stone Age?

Scientists use various methods to determine if someone is from the Stone Age, such as examining their skeletal remains, artifacts found in their graves, and the geological context of the site where they were found.

3. What were the main features of daily life during the Stone Age?

The Stone Age was a time when humans lived as hunter-gatherers, relying on hunting and gathering for survival. They also developed basic forms of agriculture and began to live in settled communities.

4. What were the major advancements during the Stone Age?

The Stone Age was a time of great innovation and advancement for early humans. Some of the major advancements during this period include the development of stone tools, the control of fire, the development of language and communication, and the beginning of art and religious practices.

5. How does the Stone Age relate to modern society?

The Stone Age laid the foundation for modern society as it was a crucial period in the evolution of humans. Many of the skills and technologies developed during this time have been passed down and built upon, leading to the complex societies we have today.