Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I going to be stripped of my title?

1. Jan 10, 2005 #1
    I had to go to court today and according to my lawyer I was going to lose and go to jail for 4 1/2 years and I should have taken the offer of 6 months in jail when it was offered. I refused to say I was guilty when I wasn't, so I was expecting to go to jail for 4 1/2 years.
    In the court room they found a problem with my file and the trial couldn't continue. this would be the third time everything would have to start over from scratch.
    the prosecutor didn't want to go through all this again, so offered to give me probation instead of jail time if I would just plead guilty. I told him it was a matter of pride, which I quickly swallowed and took the offer. I'm boring in real life so probation isn't a problem. the only problem is that now I am an official felon.
    How much more do you look down on me with that label?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2005 #2
    Really?? :eek: whats the felony?

4. Jan 10, 2005 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The fact that you got such a weak penalty for your "felony" makes the government's case look pretty shoddy anyway. If anyone asks why you were convicted of a felony, just explain "Well, I didn't actually do it. They couldn't prove anything, but still gave me a few months' probation anyway. I'm not sure why."

- Warren

5. Jan 10, 2005 #4

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

I am proud know a genuine felon. Be my friend Godfather? :shy:

6. Jan 10, 2005 #5
    I don't think I get to say I'm just a little bit felonish.
    Pretty black and white line, felon/not felon. Funny thing though, the only place I care about it is here. I know you all look up to me and want to emulate me and I'm joking and should be arrested for that last comment. lol.
    I got to tell you all though I was pretty terrified these past few days. I'm a pretty creative guy, so I've had some pretty horrid thoughts running through my head lately. I did not want to go to prison just because I'm an idiot.

7. Jan 10, 2005 #6
    wow, I used pretty three times in one sentence. that's awful

8. Jan 10, 2005 #7
    pretty sad alright

9. Jan 10, 2005 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, tribdog, the line between felon and non-felon is not very black-and-white. That's why we have courts, juries, and judges.

- Warren

10. Jan 10, 2005 #9
    Well at least you are not going to jail.

11. Jan 10, 2005 #10
    but looks like those weeks of anus conditioning were for naught.

12. Jan 10, 2005 #11

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Knowing that they didn't push the charge, and knowing that you accepted probation "under duress", the conviction is not significant to me. I am just glad you are not going to jail. [​IMG]

13. Jan 10, 2005 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I vote for stripped, tarred and feathered! :biggrin:

What a nightmare. I'm glad to hear that its over.

14. Jan 10, 2005 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Tribdog, glad the ordeal is over with and you can get back to your life. Welcome back...people have been getting worried about you.

15. Jan 10, 2005 #14
    o god :rofl:

16. Jan 10, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nah, we won't strip you of your title. The volcano gods don't care if you're a felon or not, as long as you're funny! Now that we know you're not going to jail, into the volcano you go! :rofl:

17. Jan 10, 2005 #16
    no, the o god is for when I mention something like "I keep hitting my chin on the edge of the bar if I accidently relax while sitting on a stool." or "Where the hell are my boots?"

18. Jan 10, 2005 #17

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Unfortunatly this is now on your record, it could come back to haunt you in the future. Good luck.

19. Jan 10, 2005 #18

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Well it's about freakin' time you got back here!!!!! No excuses about court and felonies, etc... You have a job to do and responsibilities to the fine people of the General Discussion Forum that voted for you!!!! :grumpy:

Enough whining and self pity, BE FUNNY DAMNIT!!!!! :devil:

I'm glad that you're back and ok, we've been so worried about you! :cry:

20. Jan 10, 2005 #19
    We can't throw Saint instead?

Very glad to hear you're not gonna wind up in prison tribdog. Welcome back.

21. Jan 11, 2005 #20

Tsu

Gold Member

I'm so glad you're OK, trib. We've been so worried about you the past 5 days! :cry: Now, like Evo said, "BE FUNNY, DAMMIT!!!" :biggrin: We've missed you a LOT!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?