How could I know that I'm not suffering from Schizophrenia ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of identity and the possibility of being part of someone else's fantasy or imagination. The speakers question if they are real or just a figment of someone else's mind, and how this relates to mental disorders like schizophrenia. They also mention the idea of living in a dream or simulation and the uncertainty of knowing one's true identity.
AbouNart
Am I I ?

Am I I or in someone's fantasy ?
Am I I or a part of someone who is imagining me ?
Am I I or an imaginary part of a psycho ?

How could I/yuo know that I'm not suffering from Schizophrenia ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Note: Thread moved from Social Sciences to Philosophy/ Metaphysics and Epistemology

"Once I dreamed I was a butterfly, or am I really a butterfly dreaming I am a man?"
Chuange Tzu

Does it matter who or what you might really be?

Descartes: I think, therefore I am.

Regardless of what the situation might be outside your perception, you are still consciously able to (conceptually) point at yourself and ask about your own identity. You are aware of yourself as physcially and conceptually distinct from the rest of the universe. That is identity.

You are you - even if you're in someone else's fantasy.

In order for the butterfly dreaming of man theory to be accurate, you would have to assume that we live many lives, and in all these lives dream only of being a human. With a steady dream that tells a steady story as we come in and out of it. Do you think this is true?

"In order for the butterfly dreaming of man theory to be accurate..."- meaningoflight

It is not a theory, it is a simple perspective on life in general. This whole life could be a Truman Show and you could be an alien on Jupiter dreaming out this whole human life. Maybe Humans do not exist in the real world, assuming this isn't the real world. Maybe it is...how would you know?

"Does it matter who or what you might really be?"- wuliheron

Of course it does. To not know who or what you are can drive a person mad. I'd like to know if I was really human and that everything around me is real. If I dwelled on that, I could go insane wondering if anything is real. Most people don't think about it, but when they realize something like that it could be traumatic.

"Am I I or in someone's fantasy ?
Am I I or a part of someone who is imagining me ?
Am I I or an imaginary part of a psycho ?

How could I/yuo know that I'm not suffering from Schizophrenia ?"

There is, truthfully, no way to know or find out, at the moment. Maybe everything is fake. Maybe it isn't. I wouldn't dwell on it...

"You are you - even if you're in someone else's fantasy."- DaveC426913

The rest of your post is great besides this. If you are someone elses fantasy, you are their invention and you have no identity. You are an extension of another being's mind. Maybe what they wish they could be... maybe simply an identical copy, to keep the inventor company. There are so many possibilities.

1. How do I know if I have schizophrenia?

Schizophrenia is a complex mental disorder that can be difficult to diagnose. It is important to seek a professional evaluation from a licensed mental health provider to determine if you have schizophrenia or any other mental health condition.

2. What are the symptoms of schizophrenia?

The symptoms of schizophrenia can vary from person to person, but some common symptoms include hallucinations, delusions, disorganized thinking and speech, and difficulty functioning in daily life. It is important to note that experiencing one or more of these symptoms does not necessarily mean you have schizophrenia.

3. Can schizophrenia be cured?

There is currently no known cure for schizophrenia, but it can be effectively managed with a combination of medication, therapy, and support. With proper treatment, many people with schizophrenia are able to lead fulfilling lives.

4. Is schizophrenia hereditary?

While there is a genetic component to schizophrenia, it is not solely determined by genetics. Having a family history of schizophrenia does increase the risk, but environmental and social factors also play a role in the development of the disorder.

5. Can drug use cause schizophrenia?

There is no evidence to suggest that drug use directly causes schizophrenia. However, substance abuse can worsen symptoms and increase the risk of developing the disorder in individuals who are already predisposed to it.