1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am i in the right place?

1. Sep 13, 2005 #1
    am i in the right place???

i everyone i have a physics question but i am not sure if i am in the right place or not..... the question is:
    Estimate the number of water molecules in a raindrop 1.5 mm in radius.
    i really dont want you to solve it just give me the equation that i am supposed to use to solve the question.....

and again.... if i am in the wrong place...please tell me where i am supposed to post this question

thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2005 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is better posted in the homework forum.

Look up the molar volume of water. You'll find out how many atoms fit into a given volume. The rest is just volumetric calculation.

4. Sep 13, 2005 #3

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

The density of water is 1 gram per cubic centimeter. The molecular mass of water is about 18 grams per mole. there are about 6.02*10^23 molecules in a mole. Assuming the raindrop is spherical, you can find its volume from [itex]V=\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3[/itex]. Using the desnity, you can find the mass, using the mass you can find the # of moles, using the # of moles you can find the # of molecules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?