1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I in trouble?

1. Jul 7, 2014 #1
    Hello, I am new here so bare with me please!
    I am a Physics major with a concentration in Engineering from a university that does not have a very well known physics department, nor does it have an Engineering department. I currently have just below a 3.0 overall GPA and above a 3.0 GPA in my science and math courses. I have a paid internship that I have been working at for the past three summers but the problem is it's in an IT field. They hired me when my major was computer science but I have been doing a really good job so they keep asking me back. The CEO's and almost everyone I know here likes me as an employee and friend. A couple people that run the company would certainly write recommendations for me and help me move along.

Now the question is, How screwed am I for getting a job in the field of Physics? My grades aren't great but I can work when it comes to employment and have a whole company that can vouch for me and back me. What I see as a concern is that my grades aren't the greatest for one and I do not have experience in the field. I have one more year left until I graduate and I am nervous that I will not be able to find anything for myself.

Thank you for your inputs ahead of time!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2014 #2
    What does "in the field of physics" mean? All I can think that could be is a professional physicist with a PhD working at a university or national lab, or perhaps a medical physicist.

I would conjecture that far more physics graduates end up doing IT than working "in physics".

As far as getting into a position as a physicist, its not going to be easy with those grades. In fact, its not easy with good grades... You need to be doing research and publishing (rather than doing IT internships) and applying to graduate schools for a PhD.

IMO, you are doing a better job at fostering real world and marketable skills by doing IT as an intern than pursuing a career in physics by doing research.

4. Jul 7, 2014 #3
    I wasn't thinking anything in the field of Physics. What I meant was being able to use the Physics I have. As in maybe get paid to go back to school to get an engineering degree or work with my Physics degree next to Engineers.

5. Jul 7, 2014 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

As far as the grades go... Just put your major GPA on resumes instead of your regular gpa and you'll be fine. As long as you can explain the low cumulative most employers won't think twice about you getting bad grades in English classes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook