Am I missing out by not writing the energy balance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of energy balances in solving equations and the suggestion to use the 'steady flow energy equation' for a turbine, which is a steady flow device.
civilengoo
Homework Statement
Been studying for this thermo exam I've got coming up and I think I've been studying it all the wrong way and I could make my life a whole lot easier if I used energy balances, but I just don't understand them and how to write them! Would somebody be able to fully explain to me how to write these energy balances out and then how to simplify it down? Example question below https://imgur.com/MOvnLX6
Relevant Equations
Energy Balance for thermodynamics
Attempt:
No clue what equations to use from here.

Attachments

• IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 284
Physics news on Phys.org
civilengoo said:
I could make my life a whole lot easier if I used energy balances, but I just don't understand them and how to write them!
No clue what equations to use from here
Isn't the basic idea that energy in has to equal energy out, since energy can't be destroyed?

Please take your best shot at it so far. What can you show us?

civilengoo said:
No clue what equations to use from here.
In this case, the turbine is an example of a steady flow device, so it would be worth trying to use the 'steady flow energy equation' (at its core, it is a conservation of energy equation).

Master1022 said:
In this case, the turbine is an example of a steady flow device, so it would be worth trying to use the 'steady flow energy equation' (at its core, it is a conservation of energy equation).
OK so far. So let's see what you do next.

1. What is an energy balance?

An energy balance is a scientific concept that refers to the relationship between the energy entering and leaving a system. It takes into account all forms of energy, including heat, light, and mechanical energy, to determine the overall energy of a system.

2. Why is writing an energy balance important?

Writing an energy balance is important because it allows scientists to understand and quantify the energy flow in a system. This information is crucial for studying the behavior and changes of various natural and man-made systems.

3. What are the benefits of writing an energy balance?

Writing an energy balance can provide valuable insights into the efficiency and sustainability of a system. It can also help identify areas where energy is being wasted or where improvements can be made to optimize energy usage.

4. Can an energy balance be applied to any system?

Yes, an energy balance can be applied to any system, whether it is a small-scale chemical reaction or a large-scale ecological system. The principles of energy balance are universal and can be used to analyze and understand a wide range of phenomena.

5. Is writing an energy balance a complex task?

Writing an energy balance can be a complex task, as it requires a thorough understanding of the system and its energy inputs and outputs. However, with proper knowledge and techniques, it can be a valuable tool for scientific research and analysis.