1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I on the right path?

1. Aug 18, 2011 #1
    Hey Guys,

I've browsed this forum occasionally in my spare time, but it is only now that I register in hopes that one of you could help me, and perhaps guide me along.

I've just finished High School, and I did rather well. I finished second in my year, and first for Physical Science, and second for Mathematics. However, when it came to deciding upon what to study, I really hit a crossroads.

I happen to be very multifaceted, and as such I went from Engineering, to BSocSci, to Law, to BSocSci and Law, until I finally came full circle and ended up back in Engineering.

I think I could really enjoy Engineering, as I enjoy learning how things work, be it physics or electronics, just as much as I enjoy literature and philosophy. I think what sums it best, is that ultimately I love knowledge.

At the moment I'm even designing a system to automate the problem areas of where I work :)

One of my passions when I was younger, and more immature, was the Military and all things related to it. I still get that jolt from things of that nature, but I've lost the "Lets be Special Forces and combat is awesome aspect.

So, I was thinking of tentatively aiming to merge these two aspects of me in a career in the Arms industry, designing cutting edge military technology, such as planes or vehicles, weaponry etc etc.

On that note, would a bachelors in Mechanical Engineering be a good start? And beyond that, to anyone with experience in this regard, how would being a foreigner affect employment opportunities in this field? I'm South African for the record, and I would love to be involved in DARPA/Skunkworks type of operations.

I also have ambitious financial goals, and with Engineering, i've read that around 50 - 60 K USD is the average for early in career, leading up to just under 100 k later on. Does this sound correct? Money is not the most important thing to me in a career, as I plan to expand upon my base salary via investments and side businesses.

Establish my empire :)

Sorry for the verbose post, I just could really do with some sound boarding with people who have been there and done that.

Any comments would be appreciated :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted