Am I on the right track with Ampere's Law?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Ampere's Law to find the magnetic field around a wire carrying a current of 3 A in the downward direction. The individual uses a circle with a radius of 2.0 cm and applies the formula B∫dl = µ0I to find the magnetic field. The conversation also mentions that the Biot-Savart law can also be used and yields the same formula.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

A wire carries a current of 3 A in the downward direction. What is the magnetic field 2.0 cm away from the wire?

Homework Equations

∫B·dl = µ0I

The Attempt at a Solution

So I pick a circle with radius 2.0 cm to go around the wire, and get

B∫dl = µ0(3 A)

∫dl evaluates to 2pi(0.02 m).

So B = [µ0(3 A) ] / 2*pi*0.02 m?

Physics news on Phys.org
That works, however the Biot-Savart law is easier to apply here and actually reduces to a formula identical to what you have written in the last line in the case of a long straight wire. B=µ0I/2(pi)r

Thank you! I know the Biot-Savart law also works, I just wanted to make sure my concept of Ampere's Law was correct. =)

1. What is Ampere's Law and what does it state?

Ampere's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field around a closed loop to the electric current passing through the loop. It states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the total electric current passing through the loop.

2. How is Ampere's Law used in practical applications?

Ampere's Law is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in the development of magnetic materials and in the study of electromagnetic waves.

3. What are the limitations of Ampere's Law?

Ampere's Law is only valid for steady-state electric currents and does not take into account time-varying electric fields. It also assumes that the magnetic field is constant throughout the closed loop, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

4. How does Ampere's Law relate to Gauss's Law?

Ampere's Law and Gauss's Law are both fundamental laws in electromagnetism and are closely related. While Ampere's Law relates the magnetic field to the electric current, Gauss's Law relates the electric field to the electric charge. Ampere's Law is often used in conjunction with Gauss's Law to solve complex electromagnetic problems.

5. What is the significance of the constant of proportionality in Ampere's Law?

The constant of proportionality in Ampere's Law, also known as the permeability of free space, is a fundamental constant in physics and is used to define the strength of the magnetic field. It also plays a crucial role in the calculation of the force between two current-carrying wires and the energy stored in a magnetic field.