Am I on track for grad school?

In summary, based on your current coursework and GPA, you seem to be on the right track for graduate school in mathematics. However, it's important to continue taking relevant and challenging courses, such as abstract algebra and algebraic combinatorics, as well as potentially pursuing opportunities for undergraduate research. These will help strengthen your application and make you stand out among other applicants with similar GPAs. Ultimately, graduate admissions in math is more focused on later and more advanced courses, so make sure to plan your coursework accordingly.
arachnotron
Hi all,

My goal is to go to graduate school for mathematics (most likely enumerative combinatorics of graph theory). My math grades in college have been:

Calculus I/II - AP Credit so no "grade".
Calculus 3 - A+
Linear Algebra - A-
Proofs - A-
Combinatorial Theory - A
Elementary Number Theory - A
Ordinary Differential Equations - A

My overall GPA is 3.82 and my math GPA is a 3.9. I just finished my first year, too. Am I on the right track?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
arachnotron;2748764Am I on the right track?[/QUOTE said:
Hi sweetheart. Do you just need a pat on the back for doing such a good job? Seems like you sure know what you're doing. Perhaps you are just here to brag? ;)

No, no, I've just been reading lots of admissions results threads all over the 'net, and I'm really worried about getting into a Ph.D program :(

Do you have any hobbies? What makes you stand out from all the other people with great GPA's?

Disclaimer: I have no first-hand knowledge of grad school admission as I'm myself an undergrad math student, but since you haven't gotten many responses I'm just going to pass on some of the advice given to me.

Do you have any hobbies? What makes you stand out from all the other people with great GPA's?
From what I've heard hobbies matter VERY little to grad school admission. Unless your hobby is very relevant to your major, but I have a hard time thinking of such a thing for math.

From early introductory courses like these it's impossible to tell if you are on the right path. Courses like linear algebra and calculus are expected, proofs is meaningless as you're expected to be able to do proofs whether you have taken a course or not. Ordinary differential equations and number theory seem like interesting electives, but ultimately I doubt they would affect graduate admissions. This does not mean that you have necessarily done anything wrong, just that graduate admissions is more focused on the later and more advanced courses that tell them what kind of preparation you have and what kind of courses you can handle.

The best way I guess is for you to consider what kind of courses you will have taken when you finally apply for grad school (you should have, or be able to make, a rough plan of what courses you'll take). Ideally you should have taken (or be in the process of taking) quite a few of the following:
- Abstract Algebra
- Complex Analysis
- Functional Analysis
- Topology
Especially algebra I suspect would be important. I cannot tell whether the courses you're taking are especially hard as I don't know your preparation nor the level they are done at. If you are able to do it, taking a few relevant grad courses would also be a great idea (but a good foundation is much more important):
- Homological algebra
- Algebra (your college probably have some sort of continuation of the undergrad course).
- Algebraic combinatorics
- Enumerative combinatorics
- Analytic combinatorics (not all these kinds of combinatorics may be available, or they may be under more specific names such as "random graphs" or "asymptotic analysis of trees").
- Algebraic topology
Are choices I would consider (I'm biased towards the algebraic side of math, but seeing as you're interested in combinatorics then so are you probably).

If possible, opportunities such as undergraduate research is always good, but it matters much less in math than in subjects like physics. In math you need a bit more of a foundation before being able to take a serious part of any research, and the admission committee knows that your professor may have helped you quite a bit. I would not obsess over undergraduate research and definitely value solid coursework higher, but if you see a perfect opportunity (such as a professor announcing he wants to take on some undergrads for some research) you should consider it.

1. How can I tell if I am on track for grad school?

There are several key factors to consider when determining if you are on track for grad school. These include your academic performance, relevant experience, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores. It is important to research the specific requirements and expectations of the grad programs you are interested in to ensure you are on the right track.

2. Is GPA the most important factor for getting into grad school?

GPA is certainly an important factor, but it is not the only one. Admissions committees also consider your relevant experience, letters of recommendation, and standardized test scores. Additionally, some programs may place more emphasis on certain criteria, so it is important to research the specific expectations of the programs you are applying to.

3. How much research experience do I need for grad school?

The amount of research experience needed for grad school can vary depending on the program and field of study. Some programs may require extensive research experience, while others may not require any at all. It is important to research the specific expectations of the programs you are interested in and gain as much relevant experience as possible to make yourself a competitive applicant.

4. Are there any specific courses I should take to prepare for grad school?

While there are no specific courses that are required for grad school, it is important to take courses that align with your intended field of study and demonstrate your academic strengths. Additionally, taking challenging courses and performing well in them can help strengthen your application.

5. How important are letters of recommendation for grad school admissions?

Letters of recommendation are an important aspect of the grad school application process. They provide insight into your academic abilities, work ethic, and potential for success in a graduate program. It is important to choose recommenders who can speak to your strengths and qualifications for the specific program you are applying to.