Am i overcomplicating things?

• Thread starter DB
  • Start date
In summary, at a constant temperature, the total volume of Hydrogen and Nitrogen would occupy 3.29 L. The pressure of Hydrogen would be 2.44e23 molecules per cubic meter, and the pressure of Nitrogen would be 337.3 molecules per cubic meter.
DB
Gas laws problem

2.44e23 molecules of Hydrogen and 3.0 molecules of Nitrogen are together exerting a pressure of 620. kPa. what is the partial pressure of each gas?
Ans:H_2 = 278 kPa, N_2 = 342 kPa

so basically the way i though of solving this was to use the ideal gas law being:

[tex]PV=nRT[/tex]

i kept the temperature constant at 273 K. then i found the total amount of moles by adding the # of molecules and dividing by 6.02e23:

[tex]\frac{2.44e23+3.0e23}{6.02e23}=\sim 0.90 mol[/tex]

so then i asked myself: at constant temperature, what would be the total volume these gases would occupy at 620 kPa and 0.90 mol. so i solved:

[tex]620x=0.90*8.31*273[/tex]

[tex]x\sim 3.29_L[/tex]

so now i took hydrogen, at constant temperature, occuping a volume of 3.29 L, how much pressure would it exert? 2.44e23 is 0.41 mol so..

[tex]3.29x=0.41*8.31*273[/tex]

[tex]x\sim 282.7_{kPa}[/tex]

so now by law of partial pressures 620-282.7=337.3 kPa
so my answer is:

[tex]H_2 = 282.7_{kPa}[/tex]

[tex]N_2 = 337.3_{kPa}[/tex]

i got it wrong, i think I am overcomplicating things, could some1 help me out?

thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't got it wrong. There is some round off error, because you did it the "long" way.

Try to look it over again and see if you can find an easier way. If you can't see it, let us know and we'll help out.

i knew i was doing too much, before i posted it i had been looking and looking for an easier way n i really feel like I am missing it, some help would be great.

just a reminder
i have a test monday so some help would be greatly apreciated

The simple way to find the partial pressure of each component is to multiply the total pressure by the mole fraction. Thus [tex] n = n_1 + n2 [/tex] and so [tex] P_1 = \frac{n_1}{n} P [/tex] and [tex] P_2 = \frac{n_2}{n} P [/tex]. This formula can be derived using the ideal gas law applied to the gas of [tex] n_1 [/tex], the gas of [tex] n_2 [/tex], and finally the gas of [tex] n_1 + n_2 [/tex]. Each of these applications is valid because no one "sees" anyone else, everybody is ideal.

[tex]
P_1 V = n_1 R T
[/tex]

[tex]
P_2 V = n_2 R T
[/tex]

[tex]
P V = (n_1 + n_2) R T
[/tex]

thanks man, i see it

1. Am I overcomplicating things by adding too many variables to my experiment?

It is important to carefully consider the variables that you include in your experiment. Adding too many can make it difficult to determine which variables are truly affecting your results. It is recommended to start with a smaller number of variables and gradually add more as needed.

2. How do I know if I am overcomplicating my research question?

A good research question should be clear, concise, and focused. If your research question is too broad or convoluted, it may be a sign that you are overcomplicating it. Try to simplify your question and make sure it is directly related to your research topic.

3. Is it possible to overcomplicate data analysis?

Yes, it is possible to overcomplicate data analysis. This can happen when you use complex statistical methods or include too many variables in your analysis. It is important to choose the appropriate analysis methods and only include relevant variables to avoid overcomplicating your data analysis.

4. How can I avoid overcomplicating my scientific writing?

To avoid overcomplicating your writing, it is important to be clear and concise. Use simple language and avoid unnecessary jargon or technical terms. Also, make sure to organize your writing in a logical and easy-to-follow structure.

5. What should I do if I realize I have overcomplicated my experiment?

If you realize that you have overcomplicated your experiment, it is important to take a step back and reassess. Consider simplifying your methods or narrowing down your research question. It may also be helpful to consult with a colleague or mentor for their input and advice.