1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am i right in my assumptions?

1. Sep 14, 2007 #1
    assume there's a road

the cars have length of "d" m, and space btw them is "k", and are moving at "di/dt"

and at some time, ahead of them is blocked trafic, and in there the cars moving @ "do/dt"

and so i am analyzing portion of the road that has blocked traffic, like how many cars in it @ given time (N(t) = # of cars in that portion of the road)

so here's what i did:

flow into my system = de/dt = do/dt-di/dt

and it takes t0(=k/(de/dt)) seconds for one more car to come in that my section of the road

and thus
    N(t) = c + [t](1/t0) gives the # of cars in it at given time t where c is the intial number.
    ignoring that floor ceiling function things..
    so i was wondering if all my assumptions are correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2007 #2

I am not able to get that why have you taken de/dt=do/dt-di/dt. Your other assumption of the time taken for an another car to enter the system is correct(I hope so).

4. Sep 14, 2007 #3
    I found that in some other problems (involving some liquid entering into a container with di/dt and leaving at do/dt), and so net rate = di/dt-do/dt

but, I again worked on this problem, and found that it is incorrect to use in this problem because distance btw. fast cars != dist. btw. slow cars

Thanks though, I also think that the equation looks good enough(with few modifications):

N(t) = c + [t](di/dt)(1/k) - [t] (do/dt)(1/p)

where k is the average dist. btw fast cars, and p is avg dist. btw. slow cars

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?