What is the solution for a system of ODEs with a matrix coefficient?

In summary, the lecturer mentions that solving the equation \frac{d\vec{u}}{dt} = A\vec{u} is similar to understanding the exponential of a matrix. The question arises whether to solve \frac{d^2\vec{u}}{dt^2} = A\vec{u} using the expression \vec{u}=A^{-1}e^{At}\frac{d\vec{u}}{dt}(0) or by introducing a new function v and using the characteristic equation.
kostoglotov
I know how to solve [tex]\frac{d\vec{u}}{dt} = A\vec{u}[/tex], I was just watching a lecture, and the lecturer related that solving that equation is pretty much a direct analogy to [tex]\vec{u} = e^{At}\vec{u}(0)[/tex], in so far as all we need to do after that is understand exactly what it means to take the exponential of a matrix, which is fine...

My question is this, do I solve [tex]\frac{d^2\vec{u}}{dt^2} = A\vec{u}[/tex] with [tex]\vec{u}=A^{-1}e^{At}\frac{d\vec{u}}{dt}(0)[/tex]?

edit:

OR do I need to go along the lines

[tex]\frac{d^2\vec{u}}{dt^2} = \lambda^2\vec{u} = A\vec{u}[/tex]

and solve

[tex](A - \lambda^2 I)\vec{u}=\vec{0}[/tex]

?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One way to look at it: Introduce a new function v: [itex]\frac{d\vec{u}}{dt}= \vec{v}, \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}=A\vec{u} [/itex].

kostoglotov said:
I know how to solve [tex]\frac{d\vec{u}}{dt} = A\vec{u}[/tex], I was just watching a lecture, and the lecturer related that solving that equation is pretty much a direct analogy to [tex]\vec{u} = e^{At}\vec{u}(0)[/tex], in so far as all we need to do after that is understand exactly what it means to take the exponential of a matrix, which is fine...

My question is this, do I solve [tex]\frac{d^2\vec{u}}{dt^2} = A\vec{u}[/tex] with [tex]\vec{u}=A^{-1}e^{At}\frac{d\vec{u}}{dt}(0)[/tex]?

edit:

OR do I need to go along the lines

[tex]\frac{d^2\vec{u}}{dt^2} = \lambda^2\vec{u} = A\vec{u}[/tex]

and solve

[tex](A - \lambda^2 I)\vec{u}=\vec{0}[/tex]

?
I haven't thought about this in quite a while.
If you had a regular ODE of the form u' = au, or u' - au = 0, the characteristic equation would be r - a = 0, so the solution would be u = Ceat, similar to your first order example above.

If you had u'' = λ2u, or u'' - λ2u = 0, the characteristic equation would be r2 - λ2 = 0, or r = ±λ. The solution would be u = C1eλt + C2e-λt.

Your example, with a system of ODEs, will have a solution that is analogous to the above, with exponentials involving the matrix.

1. What does "Au" stand for in the equation "Am I right?: solving u = Au"?

"Au" is the chemical symbol for gold. In this equation, it represents a variable that is being solved for.

2. How is the "Am I right?" equation used in science?

This equation is used in scientific experiments and calculations to determine the value of a variable, "u". It is commonly used in fields such as chemistry and physics.

3. What is the purpose of solving for "u" in this equation?

The purpose of solving for "u" is to find the value of this variable, which is often an unknown quantity, in order to better understand the relationship between the other variables in the equation.

4. Can this equation be used in everyday life?

While this equation may not have a direct application in everyday life, the concept of solving for a variable can be applied in various situations, such as determining the best deal while shopping or calculating the amount of ingredients needed for a recipe.

5. Is the "Am I right?" equation always used to solve for "u"?

No, this equation can be used to solve for any variable as long as it follows the same format of "variable = Au". The variable being solved for may change depending on the context or experiment.