Solving a Coupled Oscillator Problem: A Puzzling Exercise

In summary: First, you should use a, and the string, it should be (4a/3 + x), right?Also I think I'm missing a term in both the kinetic and potential energy terms... Something to do with the elongation, but I'm not sure how to handle it.
wotanub

Homework Statement

Just click the link, The image is huge, so I did not use IMG tags.
http://i.imgur.com/zWNRf.jpg

Homework Equations

Let's see, The rotational kinetic energy of a body is given as [itex]K = \frac{1}{2}Iω^{2}[/itex]
for a point mass, [itex]I = mr^{2}[/itex]
for a rigid rod rotating at it's end, [itex]I = \frac{mL^{2}}{3}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

http://i.imgur.com/qh2Fh.jpg

First, I'm trying to write the Lagrangian, but I'm not sure I got it quite right. I'm wary about that potential energy... My intuition says that's right, I was trying to write the component of the gravitational force in the direction of the angle(s).

Also, I'm not sure where the elongation of the string comes in, or even what "elongation" even really means. I thought x was the length the string changes according to the picture, so what is this ε?

And even after I finish writing the Lagrangian, I've never solved a coupled oscillator problem in terms or angles instead of displacements. How do normal modes come into play when the solutions to the equations of motion won't take the form of [itex]q = Acos(ωt)[/itex]?

Any help is appreciated, this has got me scratching my head since my textbook has no examples even remotely similar.

Physics news on Phys.org

wotanub said:
First, I'm trying to write the Lagrangian, but I'm not sure I got it quite right. I'm wary about that potential energy... My intuition says that's right, I was trying to write the component of the gravitational force in the direction of the angle(s).

You're missing the rod / string length in the potential energy.

For the rod, would I use a or 2a?

and the string, it should be (4a/3 + x), right?

Also I think I'm missing a term in both the kinetic and potential energy terms... Something to do with the elongation, but I'm not sure how to handle it.

1. What is a coupled oscillator problem?

A coupled oscillator problem refers to a system of two or more oscillators that are connected to each other and affect each other's motion. This can include pendulums, springs, or any other system that exhibits oscillatory behavior.

2. Why is solving a coupled oscillator problem considered a puzzling exercise?

Solving a coupled oscillator problem can be challenging because the motion of one oscillator affects the motion of the other(s), making it difficult to predict the behavior of the system as a whole. Additionally, the equations used to describe the motion can become complex and require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

3. What are some real-world examples of coupled oscillator problems?

Examples of coupled oscillator problems can be found in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and biology. Some common examples include the swinging of a grandfather clock, the motion of a double pendulum, and the synchronization of fireflies flashing in unison.

4. What are some strategies for solving a coupled oscillator problem?

One strategy for solving a coupled oscillator problem is to break it down into smaller, simpler problems and then combine the solutions. Another strategy is to use symmetry or conservation laws to simplify the equations. Additionally, numerical methods can be used to approximate the solution for more complex systems.

5. How can solving a coupled oscillator problem be applied in practical situations?

Solving a coupled oscillator problem can have practical applications in a variety of fields. For example, understanding the motion of coupled oscillators can help engineers design more efficient and stable structures. In biology, it can be used to study the synchronization of biological rhythms. Additionally, it can be applied in the development of new technologies, such as synchronized lasers or electronic circuits.