1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I the engineering type?

1. Oct 25, 2008 #1
    I dont know if I'm the "engineering type." I enjoyed building Legos from childhood, but I've never really shown any interest in exploring how mechanical things work or building things; I've never been one to take the radio apart, for instance, to see how it works, or taken interest in designing circuits. However, designing missiles, satellites, military weapons, robots has interested me from movies and video games, so I might be suited for aerospace engineering. However, I've enjoted almost all of the math and physics courses (including upperdiv pure math and physics) I've taken. But I'm pretty sure that I rather go into industry than academia because I didnt really enjoy my REU in experimental physics that much and I'm definitely concerned about the job situation. So, maybe I'm more suited for something that applicable but engineering, like economics or finance? This is what I'm trying to figure out.

also, the part of my physics classes that i disliked the most were labs

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2008 #2
    I enjoy the layman's reading on physics such as books by Kaku, Hawking and Davies but I hate with a passion the actual physics. You can't really be sure based on what you have written. I can tell you wouldn't like engineering if you don't like labs though. Perhaps something like programming would be interesting to you.

4. Oct 25, 2008 #3
    I only took one programming class, c++, and it was one of the most difficult classes i've ever taken. it wasnt the most interesting either

5. Oct 25, 2008 #4
    Well if you only took one class in programming I doubt you took a computer science class. Just getting started takes some effort because you must learn the language before you can express your ideas. Have you looked into computer science? It shares a lot with math and is quite theoretical. Many people with advanced CS degrees might work for a company like Adobe or Microsoft and come up with new compression algorithms or ways to efficiently store and compute information.

Perhaps you could take a class in algorithms. At least at the graduate level where I go such classes are taught using pencil and paper and involve a lot of graph theory, combinatorics, logic and number theory.

6. Oct 30, 2008 #5
    ok i may consider that. any other suggestions

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?