Am I the only one into this power melodic metal Australian band?

In summary, the conversation was discussing the band Ilium and their music. Opinions were shared on the band's sound, specifically their guitars and clean singing. Some comparisons were made to other bands like Deep Purple and Scorpions. The band's drummer was also mentioned, with some praise for his talent. The conversation also touched on the band's history and reunion in the 80s. One person mentioned liking the song "The Battle Rages On" and another expressed interest in listening to more of the band's music. The conversation ended with a mention of AI-written power metal songs.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
Ilium:

What a band!

Ausi ausi!

Likes fresh_42
Science news on Phys.org
Deep Purple vibe... too busy for my tastes, but nice articulation on the guitar.

Guitars sound good, but the clean singing has to go.

BWV said:
Guitars sound good, but the clean singing has to go.
Ah I like the clean singing, you can actually understand what the singer sings... :oldbiggrin:

Yeah; I was all geared up for "Ya aaa ;agYSFSSE ;RUWEIGIDDSAHSCZCXVCV" and then ... Oh, Ian Gillen(sp?) moved to Oz.

hmmm27 said:
Yeah; I was all geared up for "Ya aaa ;agYSFSSE ;RUWEIGIDDSAHSCZCXVCV" and then ... Oh, Ian Gillen(sp?) moved to Oz.
Ian Gillan or Ray Gillen? I got more Ronnie James Dio or maybe Rob Halford but yes, basically anyone that did vocals for Black Sabbath.

Guitars very Scorpions/MSG/UFO: @fresh_42 is this the reason for your like?

Drummer let's them down, there's more to blast beat than cranking the tempo knob to max on the kick-drum.

pbuk said:
Ian Gillan or Ray Gillen? I got more Ronnie James Dio or maybe Rob Halford but yes, basically anyone that did vocals for Black Sabbath.

Guitars very Scorpions/MSG/UFO: @fresh_42 is this the reason for your like?

Drummer let's them down, there's more to blast beat than cranking the tempo knob to max on the kick-drum.
The reason for my like is, that I like metal with a tune you can call melody. They aren't a band I would consider to become one of my favorites, but I wanted to signal the OP that there are indeed people who like that kind of music, too.

And no, I do not like the scorpions at all. That is neither metal, nor can Meine sing at all. He sounds like a nasal tin can. Probably the closest they come to metal. I try to achieve a reaction time under half a second for changing radio and tv stations whenever I hear or see Meine.

• Haha
Likes pbuk
Well that serves me right for thinking in national stereotypes.

Likes fresh_42
pbuk said:
Well that serves me right for thinking in national stereotypes.
I liked Lemmy.

Likes The Fez
hmmm27 said:
Deep Purple vibe... too busy for my tastes, but nice articulation on the guitar.
Deep Purple were the greatest bunch of players ever. 1969-73 with Gillan and Glover. No contest.

pinball1970 said:
Deep Purple were the greatest bunch of players ever. 1969-73 with Gillan and Glover. No contest.
I do like the Battle Rages on:

Also their latest album I have it, interesting; but I don't like the mellow songs.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I do like the Battle Rages on:

Also their latest album I have it, interesting; but I don't like the mellow songs.

I am not sure about the “unreleased BBC tapes part” but when I listened to this first time I was blown away.

This is 5 musicians enjoying playing, talent to burn, chemistry – no one could touch them.

From a drummer point of view some of the things he does are fantastic, very difficult especially the bass drum on Mandrake Root and Space Truckin’

1621252906400.png

The reunion in the 80s had a different sound and I did not like it much (or much 1980s stuff) so I switched off on later Albums
The Celestial Sphere sounds more like Iron Maiden to me

pinball1970 said:
I am not sure about the “unreleased BBC tapes part” but when I listened to this first time I was blown away.

This is 5 musicians enjoying playing, talent to burn, chemistry – no one could touch them.

From a drummer point of view some of the things he does are fantastic, very difficult especially the bass drum on Mandrake Root and Space Truckin’

View attachment 283164

The reunion in the 80s had a different sound and I did not like it much (or much 1980s stuff) so I switched off on later Albums
The Celestial Sphere sounds more like Iron Maiden to me
For me the Celestial Sphere of Ilium sounds like no other tune I have heard.
Jason Hodges from Ilium deserves more recognition; terrific sound.
And the lyrics, oh man...

Likes pinball1970
MathematicalPhysicist said:
For me the Celestial Sphere of Ilium sounds like no other tune I have heard.
Jason Hodges from Ilium deserves more recognition; terrific sound.
And the lyrics, oh man...
I will listen to more!

• Haha
Likes pinball1970

1. What is the name of the power melodic metal Australian band?

The band is called "Am I the only one" and they are based in Australia.

2. What genre of music does the band play?

The band is known for their unique blend of power metal and melodic metal, with influences from Australian rock and punk music.

3. How long has the band been together?

The band was formed in 2010 and has been actively performing and releasing music since then.

4. What are some popular songs by the band?

Some of their most popular songs include "Lost in the Fire", "Rise Up and Fight", and "Echoes of the Past".

5. Have they toured outside of Australia?

Yes, the band has toured in Europe and North America, gaining a global fan base for their energetic live performances.