Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I too late?

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I'm a junior in high school and I've been having trouble trying to figure out my life career. I currently have a "B" in chemistry and have kind of been gliding my way through the year, not applying myself because of this unsureness of a career. Well I've always been interested in particle physics and always am up to date on the latest and greatest in space technology.... Now don't laugh at me because of this next sentence, I know it sounds kind of dumb but dreams got to start somewhere right? So I go see Avatar on the IMAX in 3D, and at the end of the movie as the credits were rolling, I knew what I was going to do with my life. I realized instead of reading about all those new inventions and theories that physicists were inventing and theorizing, I could become a physicist and one day someone could read about my new inventions, and new technologies that I invented or helped invent. I found my passion of designing new ways of deep space travel, new space shuttles, and new engines for them that would improve the way we operate out there and make it easier for us to unravel and understand the secrets of the universe. My question is am I too late? I have never gotten a "C" or below in high school, but have never gotten straight "A's" either. Also, what would I need to do to get on track and in the right direction? Any answers would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2
    No, you are not too late... right on time, actually. As a junior in high school, you'll have to apply to colleges next fall. Put a little effort into studying for the SAT, try to raise your grades a notch, and you should be fine.

Although given what you've said, you might want to look into engineering programs as well.

4. Jan 14, 2010 #3
    No. You are actually on the right path. This is what paulo coelho says in "The alchemist" -knowing ur passions. Thanks a lot for u, that u have indirectly gave me courage to withstand my difficulty in physics. Because i am a postgraduate in Electronics and changed my career into physics due to passion aroused by reading books.

5. Jan 15, 2010 #4
    The standard answer is that it is too late when you have stopped breathing.

I like to point people to this essay:

http://www.paulgraham.com/hs.html

6. Jan 20, 2010 #5
    If your are in still high school ,it is definitely not too late in fact it is in high school that one should start planning for the future not just in science but in other fields also , by now you will have some idea of your interests,strengths and weaknesses ,you can afford to dream now but make sure your hard work is directly proportional to the amount of dreaming you do or else it will be like building castles in the air.

7. Feb 2, 2010 #6
    As mentioned, no need to worry about being late. As a matter of fact, you're probably earlier than a lot of people. I'm a second year undergrad and a lot of my friends in school with me don't really know what they want to do yet. Just work hard, keep getting decent grades and you shouldn't have a problem getting into a decent university somewhere. And then after you start college, no on really cares about your grades in high school anyway. And someone might have mentioned this, but from what I can tell, you might want to take a look at some engineering as opposed to physics. Engineering encompasses more applies sciences, such as designing motors and rockets. A physicist might develop a theory that an engineer uses to design a motor.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook