Am I understanding the concept of suction correctly?

• Thread starter spacediver
  • Start date

A.T.

Science Advisor
The argument that there must be suction in a drinking straw because of how trees work is a nonsense.
Who made that argument?

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
Gold Member
OK, calm down. I meant all the other prats who don't know Science. And there are a lot of them.

A.T.

Science Advisor
I meant all the other prats who don't know Science.
They deserve a differentiated explanation. Claiming there is no "suction" in general, because fluid particles interact only through repulsion is wrong too. AJ Bentley's teacher got away with it decades ago, because kids didn't have internet then.

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
Gold Member
The problem with the 'larger' differentiated explanation can be that, if it isn't a really full explanation (and the receiver of the explanation must be prepared to hear it all the way through) the exceptions can be taken as the rule. Details count. (Hence the frequent questions about Wormhole transportation and the like)
There's a guy in Devon who reckons he's done a siphon demo which exceeds the 10m limit. Fair enough - not impossible, as trees show us - but he claims that the reason it works is because he has a continuous U of pipe and the bit 'hanging down' is pulling the bit that's going up.
I'd like a good explanation of the effect and also to know why it's not been shown to work more often. The video from A.T. above points out the need for the plant tubing to be completely clear of air and bubble-forming nuclei for trees to do the trick.