Maximizing Time: Self-Teaching Physics or Mastering Math for Optimal Results

• Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: Do you want to build on what you already know? Based on your answer, you should then ask yourself, "What is the best way to do this?" Obviously, if you want to have fun, you should not self-study. If you want to achieve a degree, taking a course may be the best way to go. If you want to build on what you already know, then self-study may be the best option.
Nano-Passion
Most efficient way to use my time?

Can my time be better suited then self-teaching myself Physics I? Math is very important in physics so should I contribute my time to understanding and mastering trigonometry and their proofs, or perhaps self-teach myself calculus? I am not sure on what to do with my time.

What is the best use of my time?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you mean. How would you be wasting your time learning something that you will take in class?

If you got ahead then the class will be easier and you can focus on other classes. Or you can chat with the professor on more difficult problems, or even just do a bunch of challenge problems on your own because the actual class material will be already known to you. Any subject can be studied beyond what is offered in a class. And if you ever get a graduate degree you would have to self study.

Actually, you're right. Self studying would be a complete waste of time. :wink:

DrummingAtom said:
I don't understand what you mean. How would you be wasting your time learning something that you will take in class?

If you got ahead then the class will be easier and you can focus on other classes. Or you can chat with the professor on more difficult problems, or even just do a bunch of challenge problems on your own because the actual class material will be already known to you. Any subject can be studied beyond what is offered in a class. And if you ever get a graduate degree you would have to self study.

Actually, you're right. Self studying would be a complete waste of time. :wink:

hahaa. Nice sarcasm there.

I apologize, what I meant was if my time would be better suited to other things such as math? I feel like I am going to go to my physics classes next semester and be bored because everything is going to be too easy and the lectures too basic for me. Its only classical mechanics.

I can only speak for myself but when I have a chance to self study I usually study math. I feel it builds more confidence in my other studies because all the other subjects have math within them. EE, Physics, programming, etc. So, for me, if I have more math tools I can focus more on the concepts instead of juggling the math and the concepts.

If you feel bored with a subject then I probably wouldn't self study it because you more than likely won't get much out of it. I would let school push you through the material you dislike and spend your free time doing things you love.

For instance, I'm taking my first programming class (C++) in the fall. I started playing with C++ a couple months ago and can't stand it. Instead, I switched to Python and absolutely love it. I've learned more about programming in the last week with Python than I did in 2 months of C++. Why? Enjoyment of the material and ease of the Python. :smile: Same thing with Diffy Q's and Linear Algebra. LA is just more interesting to me right now.

Good luck.

You should study whatever you are most interested in right now, because you will be the most motivated and learn the most by doing that.

That said, calculus is incredibly important to all physics, so if you are interested in it, you can't go wrong working towards mastering calculus.

Personally, I would go over what I have already learned and consolidate it; focus on that which you have found difficult in the past, even if it's just units. If you haven't studied essay writing subjects at a higher level, practise your writing skills, as these will become increasingly important as you progress. I'm unfamiliar with US syllabi, however I know that in England many people do not study English, and find that their writing skills are sub-par once they reach university and find themselves writing dissertations. Focus on what you don't know and won't be taught, rather than what you're going to learn. If you feel that you can competently teach yourself everything you will learn in the next year over the course of a summer, you're probably doing the wrong course.

Nano-Passion said:
Can my time be better suited then self-teaching myself Physics I? Math is very important in physics so should I contribute my time to understanding and mastering trigonometry and their proofs, or perhaps self-teach myself calculus? I am not sure on what to do with my time.

What is the best use of my time?

In order for that question to answer, you should first ask yourself what's your purpose. Do you want to have fun ? (and is self-studying providing you that fun ?)
Do you want to obtain a certain degree ? And is self-studying going to improve your chances to get that degree ?
Do you want to do a certain kind of job ? And is self-studying going to help you realize that ?
Do you want to become rich and famous ? And is self-studying going to help you do so ?
Do you want to impress someone ? And is self studying going to achieve that ?

And is using your time differently going to achieve your goal better or not ?

1. Am I wasting my time by pursuing a certain research project?

It is natural to question the value and impact of your research, but it is important to remember that all scientific discoveries and advancements require time and effort. Consider discussing your concerns with colleagues and seeking feedback from experts in your field to gain a better understanding of the potential impact of your work.

2. How can I determine if my research is worth the time and resources?

Evaluating the potential impact and significance of your research can be challenging, but there are some key factors to consider. These include the novelty and originality of your work, its relevance to current scientific knowledge and societal needs, and the potential for practical applications or further advancements in the field.

3. Is it common for scientists to feel like they are wasting their time?

Yes, it is common for scientists to experience self-doubt and question the value of their work. This is a normal part of the scientific process and can even lead to new insights and discoveries. However, it is important to seek support from colleagues and mentors and maintain a positive mindset to overcome these feelings.

4. How can I avoid wasting time on unsuccessful experiments?

Designing and conducting experiments is a crucial part of the research process, but it is inevitable that some experiments may not yield the desired results. To avoid wasting time, it is important to thoroughly plan and design experiments, carefully analyze data, and make adjustments based on previous results. Seeking advice from colleagues and experts in the field can also help in avoiding potential pitfalls.

5. Should I continue pursuing my research if it is not yielding significant results?

It is important to carefully evaluate the progress and impact of your research, but it is also important to remember that scientific discoveries often take time and involve trial and error. If your research is not yielding significant results, consider seeking feedback from colleagues and making adjustments to your approach. Remember to stay persistent and patient, as breakthroughs can happen at any time.