Am I wrong or the teacher?

• Thread starter -Physician
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, the equation ##s=vt## is only valid for constant velocity, and for uniform acceleration, the average velocity must be used to derive the correct equation, which is ##s=v_0 t + \frac{1}{2}## at2.
-Physician
Okay, so our teacher gave us to define s=vt. Now i did it like that:
s=vt=(v_0+at)t=v_0 t+at2, but then, teacher said that's wrong, it should give you s=v_0 t+ \frac{1}{2} at2 Who is wrong me or teacher, If I am wrong, tell me where is my mistake, if the teacher is wrong let me know, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that this is a problem concerning the motion of a particle under uniform acceleration. In that case, the teacher is correct. The equation ## s = vt ## is only correct for constant velocity. If velocity is not constant, then you must replace ## v ## with the average velocity.

Under uniform acceleration, the average velocity is simply ##\frac{v_0+v_f}{2}##.

-Physician said:
Okay, so our teacher gave us to define s=vt. Now i did it like that:
s=vt=(v0+at)t=v0t+at^2, but then, teacher said that's wrong, it should give you s=v0t+1/2at^2. Who is wrong me or teacher, If I am wrong, tell me where is my mistake, if the teacher is wrong let me know, thanks!

You are wrong.

Are you familiar with calculus? Derivatives and integrals? That's one way to derive those equations.

tskuzzy said:
I am assuming that this is a problem concerning the motion of a particle under uniform acceleration. In that case, the teacher is correct. The equation ## s = vt ## is only correct for constant velocity. If velocity is not constant, then you must replace ## v ## with the average velocity.

Under uniform acceleration, the average velocity is simply ##\frac{v_0+v_f}{2}##.
So that would be ##s=vt=\frac{v_0+v_f}{2}t=v_0 t + \frac{1}{2}##at2 or ##s=vt=\frac{v_0+v_f}{2}t=v_f t - \frac{1}{2}##at2

Last edited:
-Physician said:
So that would be ##s=vt=\frac{v_0+v_f}{2}t=v_0 t + \frac{1}{2}## at2 or ##s=vt=\frac{v_0+v_f}{2}t=v_f t - \frac{1}{2}## at2

Right?
Yes that is correct.

1. Am I wrong or is the teacher wrong?

It is important to remember that there is rarely a clear answer to this question. It is possible that both you and the teacher may have different perspectives or information that led to different conclusions. It is important to approach the situation with an open mind and try to understand each other's perspectives.

2. How can I tell if the teacher is wrong?

If you believe the teacher is wrong, it is important to have evidence to support your claim. This could include references from reputable sources, data or experiments that contradict the teacher's information, or logical reasoning. It is also helpful to discuss your concerns with the teacher in a respectful manner.

3. What should I do if I think the teacher is wrong?

If you have evidence to support your belief that the teacher is wrong, it is important to address your concerns in a respectful manner. You can discuss your concerns with the teacher privately or bring them up during class if appropriate. It is important to approach the situation with respect and an open mind.

4. What if the teacher doesn't listen to me?

If you have brought up your concerns to the teacher and they still do not listen or acknowledge your perspective, it may be helpful to talk to a trusted adult, such as a parent or another teacher. You can also present your evidence to the school administration if you feel that the situation has not been resolved.

5. How can I respectfully disagree with my teacher?

When disagreeing with your teacher, it is important to approach the situation with respect and an open mind. Use clear and respectful language to express your concerns and provide evidence to support your perspective. It is also important to listen to the teacher's perspective and try to understand their reasoning. Remember to remain calm and respectful throughout the conversation.