1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I wrong or the teacher?

1. Feb 10, 2012 #1
    Okay, so our teacher gave us to define s=vt. Now i did it like that:
    s=vt=(v_0+at)t=v_0 t+at2, but then, teacher said that's wrong, it should give you s=v_0 t+ \frac{1}{2} at2 Who is wrong me or teacher, If I am wrong, tell me where is my mistake, if the teacher is wrong let me know, thanks!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2012 #2
    I am assuming that this is a problem concerning the motion of a particle under uniform acceleration. In that case, the teacher is correct. The equation ## s = vt ## is only correct for constant velocity. If velocity is not constant, then you must replace ## v ## with the average velocity.

Under uniform acceleration, the average velocity is simply ##\frac{v_0+v_f}{2}##.

4. Feb 10, 2012 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You are wrong.

Are you familiar with calculus? Derivatives and integrals? That's one way to derive those equations.

5. Feb 10, 2012 #4
    So that would be ##s=vt=\frac{v_0+v_f}{2}t=v_0 t + \frac{1}{2}##at2 or ##s=vt=\frac{v_0+v_f}{2}t=v_f t - \frac{1}{2}##at2

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  6. Feb 10, 2012 #5
    Yes that is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook