AM Radio Interference: FAQs & Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with AM radio transmissions causing interference in devices such as unshielded speakers. The person is looking for information on the minimum power needed for interference, frequency of interference, how the signal is demodulated, and potential solutions. They also mention the possibility of faulty or modified equipment causing more interference. A suggested solution is to add RF chokes to the affected equipment.
ChromeBit
Hi,
I'm interested in AM radio transmissions causing interference (not just noise, but the transmission actually being demodulated by the speaker and leaking into the amplifier circuit) in devices such as unshielded speakers (that are not designed to work with radio). I'm currently having issues with a CB or HAM radio enthusiast nearby and I'm trying to work out a couple of things.

1. What is the lowest amount of power someone would need to be using to generate audible interference, especially if they are quite close to my speakers? (Could this person still be transmitting on the legal levels?)
2. Is this interference more likely to happen at a specific frequency, such as either a CB or HAM frequency?
3. How does the signal get demodulated by my speakers? (I know that extremely simple crystal radios use just a diode)
4. Is there anything I can do at my end to stop the interference?
5. I've heard people suggest his/her equipment might be faulty (or modified), why might modified/faulty equipment cause this interference more readily?

Science news on Phys.org
Drop a note to the person causing the interference, if it's a licensed operator they should be glad to help.

The simple solution at your end is adding RF chokes to the signal and power lines of the effected equipment to stop the RF signal from entering and being demodulated by some non-linear process.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

I like this

1. What is AM radio interference?

AM radio interference is any unwanted signal or noise that disrupts the reception of AM radio stations. It can be caused by various sources such as electronic devices, power lines, and natural phenomena like lightning.

2. How does AM radio interference affect my listening experience?

AM radio interference can cause static, buzzing, or crackling sounds on your radio. It can also distort the audio quality and make it difficult to hear the station clearly.

3. What are the common sources of AM radio interference?

Common sources of AM radio interference include electronic devices like cell phones, computers, and fluorescent lights. Power lines and electrical appliances can also cause interference, as well as natural atmospheric conditions like thunderstorms.

4. How can I reduce or eliminate AM radio interference?

There are several ways to reduce or eliminate AM radio interference. You can try moving your radio to a different location, using an external antenna, or shielding your radio from electronic devices. Installing a power line noise filter or using a surge protector can also help reduce interference.

5. Can AM radio interference be completely eliminated?

While it may be difficult to completely eliminate AM radio interference, it can be significantly reduced by following the above methods. It may also help to contact your local radio station or an electrician for further assistance if the interference persists.